Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    argentum Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 3, 2006, 12:59 PM
    How much Freon
    How much freon (R19) should be used to fill a home A/C unit. I need to replace the evaporator and must dischrage the system and refill it.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Apr 4, 2006, 09:49 AM
    Only a licensed technician is allowed to dispense Freon, and you should find it difficult to purchase any Freon witout the proper credentials.

See EPA regulations:http://www.epa.gov/ozone/title6/608/

Also, Freon must be reclaimed by proper procedures, and not allowed to be intentionally dispensed into the atmosphere.
    rickdb1 Posts: 185, Reputation: 15

Apr 13, 2006, 07:49 AM
    All you have to do to replace the evaporator, is pump down the freon into the outside condensing unit using the condensors own compressor. Do it all the time... No need to purge the system... Close off high side valve on the unit while running and wait for it to pump down to zero PSI and then shut down and close off the low side valve. Change coil and then pull a vacuum on the system. Release the charge from the condenser and check charge...

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Compressor panels too dirty to measure freon pressure? [ 2 Answers ]

I'm having problems with my A/C unit. A service technician came to My house, looked at the compressor unit, and told me the panels Were full of debris that he couldn't accurately measure the freon Pressure. He asked to clean the panel for $89, which did not Include the service call, another ...

Spewing sound in Freon line [ 3 Answers ]

The Freon line to the central heat and air unit for the second floor unit run across the ceiling of my bedroom. Recently just before the air handler starts I hear a spewing, or gurgling sound. The unit appears to heat/cool OK. Is this something I should be concerned about? The outside unit is...

View more questions Search