Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Wiglet Posts: 16, Reputation: 2

Mar 9, 2007, 06:00 PM
    Gallbladder Hell!
    I've been to see my GP and I'm now awaiting a scan to confirm the diagnosis that the pain I am suffering is from my gallbladder. Actually my GP is a little worried bcause I'm 37 and in his view too young to have gallstones. The good news is the scan will be considered 'urgent' and UK national health 'urgent' means within the year!! OK I joke. Maybe a week or two.
    I am in a full blown flare up and in acute agony as I type this. I have had terrible attacks of the colicky pain which keeps hitting me and I feel terribly nauseaus.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE help me. I know not to eat fatty foods and that's the thing, I don't! My GP told me that you can get gallstones if you don't have enough fat in your diet? Just my luck.
    What's best to avoid? I'm taking pain meds but is there anything I can do to ease the pain? Any experiences to cheer me along. Anything to help would be appreciated as I feel rotten. Thank you
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Mar 9, 2007, 06:15 PM
    Oh, you poor girl. I feel for you. Now 37 is a little young, but I have seen them younger. While they are relatively uncommon in children and young adults they do begin to occur around 35 - 40 years of age, especially in women.

Some of the risk factors include:
    Obesity
    Women, especially ones who have had several pregnancies
    Frequent changes in weight
    Rapid weight loss
    Treatment with high dose estrogen (as in some cancers)
    Low dose estrogen therape
    Ileal resection or disease
    Cystic Fibrosis
    Or Diabetes.

What can help as far as diet for right now is (and you probably already know this, but in case you don't) Cooked fruits, rice, or tapioca, lean meats (you did say you knew that), mashed potatoes, non-gas-forming veggies, bread.

You should avoid eggs, cream, pork, fried foods, cheese, gas-forming veggies, and alcohol.

I wish I could be of more help right now. I know that sitting up instead of lying down can help ease the pain, as well as the pain relievers you are already taking.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Mar 9, 2007, 06:25 PM
    My first gallstone attack happened when I was 24 years old. My doctor put it down as all in my head, that I was attention seeking and drug seeking, because I was in so much pain, I could barely function. I was in and out of the hospital six times in less than six months. What saved my day was a job transfer. I requested my x-rays to be sent to a surgeon I was seeking a second opinion on and he called me at my job - I was working at the hospital then and told me he scheduled me for surgery the next day. It was that bad. I was 25 then, 1976, and have not ever regretted having that surgery. There are some things I still cannot eat, but most likely they are not healthy for me anyway. Lol.

One of my friends is currently going through what you are going through and he trying a natural flush of his gallbladder - drinking organic lemon juice mixed with warm water, twice a day and he swears it works. I cannot verify that but he is not in the hospital either.

Here is one site that offers a cleanse - I do not know if it really works - Gall Stone Cleanse

I would say you should check with your doctor before trying any kind of cleanse/tonic.

Mar 10, 2007, 03:43 AM
    Thank you for the responses.

I have a genetic tendency to this condition as both my grandmother and mother had gallstones but not until their fifties.

I was in a complete dilema today and worried about what to eat and initially thought - NOTHING! Thanks J_9, you've helped enormously because I did not know about rice. Last night I had pasta and because this is only my second BIG full blown flare up of gallstones (the last one was a couple of weeks ago and lasted about two weeks). I did not realise how much pain eating pasta would cause me? I still feel tender today and doubt it will go away as it did not before. Maybe I should explain the symptoms better in case anyone else out there is any other unsuspecting sufferers;

Right sided upper quadrant pain, just below your ribcage although it can spread to your back and shoulder.
    Heartburn or indegestion which can be mistaken for an ulcer.
    The pain can be stabbing or aching and when a gallstone becomes trapped, air builds up in your digestive tract because the stone needs to pass from the bile duct to the duodemum and it's stopping any flow. This is when the terrible colicky pain starts and the nasty taste in your mouth and nausea and vommitting hit. The pain is truly at it's worst (in my opinion) at this point.
    The pain of gallstones can be mistaken for other conditions, so seeing a doctor is a priority to get an accurate diagnosis.
    Complications;- Gallstones can cause pancreatitis, the gallbladder could rupture, infections of the gallbladder, constant gas in your bowel is not healthy as it stretches the lining of the bowel which could inturn cause damage in the future.

I think that's it and I would have to check up on the net to confirm anything else. All the symptoms are ones I have suffered with but not all at at the same time.

Must send a trusty child out to find organic lemonade - Thanks for that Shygreyzs
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Mar 10, 2007, 08:15 AM
    Be careful with the lemonaide though. I know when I drink it (understand I don't have gallstones) it gives me terrible heartburn. It is acidic, so you may want to stay away from any acidic foods that give you indigestion and heartburn. But that is just my opinion.

With that said. I see you are doing your reading! :D I chekced my medical books against what you listed above, and it seems you are right on target!

I like a gal who does not leave her health in her doctor's hands, but takes the intiative to know all she can about her condition. That makes a very well informed patient. Us nursing students (and nurses) love to have patients like you. ;)

Mar 11, 2007, 07:10 AM
    J_9 thank you for your compliment, I always do my reading! Also thank you very much for your top tip on the rice because I had a very enjoyable meal which my son enjoyed too. As for the organic lemonade? I've also decided that for now I'm not going to risk it but keep it as an idea if I need it. After Friday's agony, I'm avoiding anything which is going to hurt.

I hope others are not in the same boat I am but after looking on the net, I've realised I have been experiencing all of the symptoms at different times over the past 8 months of gallstones. It is VERY painful and can be misdiagnosed as IBS or other stomach conditions or an attack can be thought of as the starts of a heart attack? Anyone exhibiting symptoms, seek help from your doctor as gallbladder surgery is a quick keyhole surgery with minimal risks nowadays.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Deliver me from hell [ 1 Answers ]

What is the standard treatment for hepatitis. What is hepatitis c? How do I know if I have hepatitis. How does one get hepatitis c? Can it kill me?

Intertherm hell [ 3 Answers ]

Can you please tell me where I can find the diagram for the intertherm central electric furnace terminal box. The model # is FEH-020HA-03. Can anyone help?

Hell! [ 67 Answers ]

DOES HELL EXIST? The Bible speaks more of Hell than of Heaven. Jesus said it and that settles it! What think ye? Bobbye

Different degrees of hell [ 46 Answers ]

This question is for people who believe in hell, obviously. Are there different degrees of suffering in hell, or is it the same amount of suffering for everyone who goes there? Why I ask is because it seems rather unfair that everyone should face the same punishment. Take murder, for example. Say...

View more questions Search