Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sagemg Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Sep 22, 2009, 06:18 PM
    Where to connect thr ground wire
    My ceiling box has two holes that my wiring comes out of. The first hole has one white and one red. The white wire splits into the two neutral white wires.

The second hole has one yellow and a second red wire. The yellow wire splits into the two hot black wires.

The red from the first hole and the red from the second hole are capped together.

I am trying to wire a chandelier fixture and am not sure if the wiring I have is ready to attach the ground wire.

The previous light fixture had no ground wire but was very old. If it helps to mention, the one red wire that is visible under the coating appears to be copper. Any help or advice would be appreciated, as well as laymans terms or dummied down explanations please. :)

<Cleaned up and rearranged to make readable> KISS
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Sep 22, 2009, 08:28 PM

What country are you in?

What is the mains voltage?

Metal box?

Is there any evidence that a ground is present in the box? It could be via the sheath of an armored cable. Check the box for the existence of tapped holes in the bottom for a ground screw.

Can you also take a picture and post using "Go advanced/Manage attachments"

Thanks.

Sep 22, 2009, 09:14 PM
    Well I was confused first if I was looking for a screw or a wire. Does that mean the screw in the top center of the box with four holes around it, is the ground?

Sep 22, 2009, 09:16 PM

Wow sorry about the picture size, and USA, not sure about voltage. The fixture before it was suitable for 76 degrees C.
    Uber Member

Sep 22, 2009, 09:25 PM

Your actually looking for a hole with some threads which will accept a screw. The grounding screws are somewhat self tapping and tapered.
    Go to a hardware store and check out the boxes, screws and pigtails.

Usually one of those holes is tapped or nearly so. It will accept one of these: http://www.bell-enterprise.com/pictures/116153H.jpg

The alternative is the ground clip: Google Image Result for http://www.engproducts.com/images/Ground-Clip.jpg

Which is a pain to use. It clips on the edge of the box and holds a piece of solid wire tightly to the box. They are a pain to install.

The ground clips and pigtails and ground screws should be available at a hardware store in small quantities. The pigtail may not come in all styles.

The BEST one for the application is a Fork terminal with separate ground screw to a wire. Sometimes fork to fork with stranded wire is available and you cut off one end.

Stranded wire is better for this application.
    Uber Member

Sep 22, 2009, 09:37 PM

This is the best example that I could find: http://www.hammerzone.com/archives/e.../elcfha06a.jpg

See the green screw. That's added to a box. If the house is old, they don't exist.

Sep 22, 2009, 10:12 PM

Here is a better picture. Would it be possible to attach the wire to this screw, or am I completely off and need to get to the hardware store?
    Uber Member

Sep 22, 2009, 10:48 PM

Yep, that's a good point to attach and the small hole near it should accept a ground screw.

I can't really tell colors or if anything is already connected there.

You could use a stranded green pigtail with a fork terminal and attach to that screw or a ground screw.

Sep 22, 2009, 11:38 PM
    Thank you for all your help.:)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Misuse of ground wire as neutral return wire in old house [ 5 Answers ]

Here a problem where the "obvious" solution scares me, need some advice on how to best proceed. My home (built 1920 with knob and tube type wiring) has been upgraded over the years by prior owners, but in many place still has active current in the old wires, in other places it is spliced into a...

Connecting neutral wire to ground wire in breaker panel [ 3 Answers ]

Can the neutral wire be connected to the ground wire at the neutral bar in the breaker panel?

Can I use a ground wire for a ground and live black or hot wire at the same time? [ 8 Answers ]

I only have 3 wires from my ceiling to connect to my fan/light, the black, white and bare ground. No problems setting up in this room to only one switch but I would like to have the duel fan/light switch in like in my other rooms without having to pull a wire from the ceiling down to the switch,...

Can I use a single strand of lamp wire as the ground wire for a chandelier? [ 2 Answers ]

I am in the process of rewiring a chandelier to lengthen the chain. I have wired it using a single strand of the insulated lamp wire as the ground - is this safe/ok to do instead of using the exposed copper wiring I typically see for the ground?

Can you use Metal Conduit as ground to convert 2 wire to 3 wire? [ 3 Answers ]

I need to convert an old cinder block house from 2 wire outlets to 3 wire by adding a ground to all outlets. Since the entire house is cinder block, all the circuits from the basement breaker box are in flexible metal conduit and metal outlet boxes... Is it possible to use the metal conduit...

View more questions Search