Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    connerh Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 23, 2007, 09:57 PM
    87 Dodge Ram overheating
    I have a 1987 Dodge Ram that overheats when ever I drive it for about 15 minutes and I have checked the coolant level and it is at the appropriate level. What could I do to stop it from overheating? My friends say it's the thermostat but I would like some more opinions on it before I spend money on something that doesn't need replacing
    waynesworld Posts: 39, Reputation: 3

Dec 6, 2007, 05:57 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by connerh
    I have a 1987 Dodge Ram that overheats when ever i drive it for about 15 minutes and i have checked the coolant level and it is at the appropriate level. what could i do to stop it from overheating? my friends say it's the thermostat but i would like some more opinions on it before i spend money on something that doesn't need replacing
    Probably needs a new radiator.
    frankiedon53 Posts: 39, Reputation: 1

Jul 1, 2013, 08:05 PM
    Considering the year and if you don't know when or if the thermostat was ever replaced it's very possible that it the thermostat.But it could be a number of other things too: like the drive belt, if it is glazed or cracked or stretched it may slip.The belt adjuster has an indicator and pointer that lines up when the belt needs replacing.The fan clutch if it has one might be bad.Improper grade of engine oil could also be a problem.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2001 Dodge Ram overheating [ 11 Answers ]

?? I have a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 that recently needed the water pump replaced. After replacement the truck kept overheating. I then took the liberty to replace the thermostat as well. I replaced the fan & clutch assembly as well. As far as hardware is concerned, that leaves only the radiator...

Overheating 04 Dodge Ram 1500 Slt [ 9 Answers ]

My Dodge Ram Starts Getting Hot When I Drive On The Highway. The Fluid Level Is Fine But After 15 Min Of Hway Driving The Temp Gauge Starts Going Past The Mid Mark, I Was Wondering If I Could Just Remove The Thermostat Would That Cause Any Further Problems, I Live In Florida So I Don't Have To...

Overheating Dodge Ram [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4, I only drive this vehicle about every other weak. Last week I went out and started the truck and I let it warm up. When I got back in the truck I noticed the Temperature Gauge in the red. I opened the hood and nothing felt that hot the radiator hose was cold. I...

96 Dodge Ram Overheating [ 1 Answers ]

My brother has a 96 Dodge Ram that keeps overheating after going a few miles. He has replaced the thermastate, water pump, and clutch band. The radiator is only a year old. The water levels are fine. There is no blowed head. Why is this truck still running hot?

Dodge ram 1500 overheating [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 2000 dodge ram 1500 4x4 with not even 50,000 miles on it. Lately when I've been driving with my heat on, the heater will start blowing cold air then my temperature gauge says my truck is overheating. What is causing this? I haven't tried replacing anything yet. What should I start with?

View more questions Search