Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Lashandra Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Dec 22, 2011, 08:12 PM
    Nissan says the Crankshaft Sensor needs replacing, is this a DIY project?
    I have a 2006 Nissan Altima S and I was told I need to replace the Crankshaft sensor but Nissan wants $100 just to look at the car. Is this something we can replace ourselves or does it have to be done by the dealership? I can buy the part for $34.00

Thanks!
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Dec 22, 2011, 08:24 PM
    It's something you may be able to do yourself, if you can place the front end of the vehicle on jack stands. The Crankshaft Position Sensor is located on the back of the engine--access is tight.

FYI, the Camshaft Position Sensors are notorious for failing on the 2.5L engines. I recommend going with BWD aftermarket sensors, which come with a lifetime warranty. Buy them online from Advance Auto Parts, using one of their discount codes for local store pick-up. Therefore, I would replace both of these sensors. Perform a search and you will see my write-up on changing the Camshaft Position Sensor on a 2006 Nissan Altima 2.5S.

Dec 22, 2011, 08:33 PM
    Awesome thanks! My dad does all sorts of work on cars so he has all the jacks and tools and stuff he hasn't really worked on the newer cars. He's more into the old Muscle cars. I was also wondering if this something I have to change right away or if it can go a little while? The guy at the Nissan Dealership was a real A** hole and didn't answer any questions for me.
    Uber Member

Dec 22, 2011, 08:38 PM
    I would get them changed right away. They are prone to sudden death, leaving you stranded. I saved a lady's life by troubleshooting and changing the Camshaft Position Sensor, which left her stranded big time.

Dec 22, 2011, 08:47 PM
    You are a hero. I've been looking into this for awhile and haven't found much of anything. Last question. Do you know where I can find pretty detailed instructions for this? Hopefully with pictures I am a blonde :)
    Uber Member

Dec 22, 2011, 08:59 PM
    Replace the Camshaft Position Sensor (CMP), which is super easy to locate and remove:

. Remove engine cover (4 hex cap head bolts). I use a 5 mm Bondhaus Hex Driver.

. Locate Camshaft Position Sensor, which is just below the valve cover on the driver's side of the head. You will have to remove the air filter cover, AIT Sensor connector, air intake, and hose going to the valve cover--move the assembly aside.

. Remove sensor connector and old sensor, using a 10 mm socket, 6" extension, and 1/4-inch drive ratchet wrench.

. Wipe the inside of the sensor's hole with a rag.

. Lightly coat the O-ring on the new sensor (e.g. BDW/Intermotor CSS1464) with engine oil.

. Install new sensor, tighten 10 mm mounting bolt, and reattach connector.

. Clear codes in the ECM, using a code reader.

FYI, the Crankshaft Position Sensor (CKP), which is located on the back of the engine block, uses the identical sensor. The CKP is much more difficult to get to, however. CMP failure is a common problem on these cars, where the CEL comes on and the engine will crank but not start.

Pictures:

http://www.paulstravelpictures.com/N...ement-038.html

Dec 22, 2011, 09:28 PM
    Woohoo. It's going to be an eventful day tomorrow. First thing I've ever replaced on a car. Thank you so much. You have a very Merry Christmas!
    dr_UMMER Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 13, 2013, 05:04 PM
    I got the same problem - error codes P0725 and P0335

I replaced both Crankshaft and Camshaft Positioning Sensors on my Altima.

I filmed a quick video that might be useful to do the job. Youtube links:

Crankshaft Positioning Sensor: http://youtu.be/325s0pFQZtg

Camshaft Positioning Sensor: http://youtu.be/7FsLBcuREYE
    jamestayl Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 8, 2013, 09:35 AM
    Hi,

Is it easier to get to the crankshaft sensor from underneath if the car is on jack stands??

Anyone?

Thank you

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Nissan Frontier crankshaft position sensor replacement? [ 8 Answers ]

Hello All, First time here, hope someone can help me, and I look forward to assisting others in the future. I have a 2000 Nissan Frontier with a 3.3L V-6, automatic transmission. Recently, it has a problem. The truck starts fine, idles and runs OK for the first 10 minutes, but after that it...

Changing crankshaft position sensor on 02 frontier 3.3 [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 2002 Nissan Frontier with a V6 3.3 litre manual 5 spd. Transmission. The scanner show the code for a faulty sensor. How do I change the sensor?

Where is the crankshaft sensor on a 1994 buick regal custom? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 1994 buick regal custom that has a bad crankshaft position sensor. I need to know if this is an easy fix, or if I should have a professional do it.

View more questions Search