1995 ford explorer xlt 4.0 transmission problems

Asked Jun 12, 2008, 12:19 AM 17 Answers
    I changed the transmission fluid on my 1995 ford explorer xlt. I than drove it around the block and the overdrive off light started to blink and the transmission was struggling to change gears. I couldn't get the overdrive off light to shut off. What is my problem?

Last edited by cruz delgado; Jun 12, 2008 at 12:24 AM.
    CaptainRich's Avatar
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,372, Reputation: 523
    Cars & Trucks Expert

#2

Jun 12, 2008, 03:14 AM
    That light flashing means the transmission control module has detected a fault.
    Make certain that the fluid level in your trans is correct and have the codes read and diagnosed. It may simply be coincidental that something failed when you restarted your truck after changing the fluid.
    luisf's Avatar
    luisf Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

#3

Sep 13, 2009, 08:24 PM
    I'm having problems with my transmission it only moves in reverse...
    No other gear allows it to move... should I look for a specific problem in it or will I have to replace the entire transmissino?
    builtontherock's Avatar
    builtontherock Posts: 58, Reputation: 1

#4

Sep 15, 2009, 10:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainRich View Post
    Allso make sure u put the right filter one is flat the other has a little nipple coming down out the center,not sucking enough fluid and slipping it will set a code
    TNRocker86's Avatar
    TNRocker86 Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

#5

Dec 15, 2009, 06:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by luisf View Post
    im having problems with my transmission it only moves in reverse...
    no other gear allows it to move... should i look for a specific problem in it or will i have to replace the entire transmissino??
    Ok this should help you out I'm hoping. I just recently bought a 95 Ford Explorer 4x4 with the same problem. Mine would go in reverse fine but no matter what gear I put it in, it would not move ANY in a drive gear. Now what I did to solve this was I pulled the transmission myself and rebuilt it. More then likely what it will be is when you take apart the transmission if you check your forward drive clutches and steels they more then likely are going to be burnt up. Check the fluid for brown tint and a burnt odow. Have the forward drive clutches and steels replace as well as the fluid and fiilter. The steels and clutches for that should total about $28 dollars. Just go to Dacco.com or if they have Dacco around you just order the overhaul kit, filter, and steels and clutches. The total will be about $110 then rebuild it and put it back in yourself. It's a farely easy transmission and it beats paying a couple grand at least for a transmission shop to rebuild it. Hope this helps in advance and if you have anymore questions please feel free to ask me at tnrocker86@yahoo.com. One more thing. Check to see if the shifter linkage is adjusted right first then check the fluid and if it's brownish and smells like a burnt odor, then yes your clutches and steels are burnt up.
    TNRocker86's Avatar
    TNRocker86 Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

#6

Dec 15, 2009, 06:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by cruz delgado View Post
    Yes when your o.d light is blinking your transmission is in "limp" mode. If you check your filter and it's on right and you have proper fluid level but the light still flashes. Unhook your battery for about 5 minutes and let the codes reset and then hook up the battery and try it and see if that fixes the problem I had to do that a couple of times when I rebuilt my transmission also.
    HillLepley's Avatar
    HillLepley Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

#7

Dec 30, 2010, 12:09 PM
    My 95 explorer will only go forward. I cant put it in park, neutral, or reverse. Wats wrong?? The cable is not broke.
    TxGreaseMonkey's Avatar
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 15,939, Reputation: 5553
    Senior Cars & Trucks Expert

#8

Dec 30, 2010, 02:23 PM

This link may help:

http://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-tr...ml#post1838065

Shift lock system out of alignment (bad Transmission Range Sensor)? Beyound fuses and TRS, the clutch packs may be shot.
    jstagles's Avatar
    jstagles Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

#9

May 11, 2012, 02:19 PM
    I have a 95 ford explorer and it will not go into drive all other gears works. How do I fix this?
    jstagles's Avatar
    jstagles Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

#10

May 11, 2012, 02:20 PM
    I have a 95 ford explorer and it will not go into drive, all other gears works. How do I fix this?

96 Ford Explorer Transmission Changeout [ 2 Answers ]

Will the trans from a 97 explorer fit a 96? They are both 4.0 v-6's w/AT. If not will the torque converters interchange?

Transmission Problem Ford Explorer Sport [ 3 Answers ]

My 97 explorer sport does not shift into overdrive. What is the problem?

1995 Ford Escort Transmission Identification [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 1995 Ford Escort 1.9L that the transmission is going out on. The transmission is still in the car but I cannot find an ID tag or model number on it. I need to buy a transmission and have it here before I take it to the shop to be replaced. Is there a way to tell if I need a TJ or TX model...