1992 Honda Accord won't start

Asked Feb 21, 2005, 02:10 PM 14 Answers
    We have a 1992 Honda Accord that won't start. Same problem as many others on this website. That is when it gets hot outside etc... the car won't start. We have replaced the distributor, coil, and fuel pump. We are still having the problem. We have read the forums and it appears that our main relay switch may be bad. Has replacing the main relay switch fixed it? I read on one forum that the just resoldering it has worked... sure would be nice to save a few bucks but not if it would create further furstration.

Last edited by EGRI; Feb 21, 2005 at 03:15 PM. Reason: Has replacing the main relay switch fixed it?
    CroCivic91's Avatar
    CroCivic91 Posts: 729, Reputation: 23
    Senior Member

#2

Feb 21, 2005, 03:00 PM
    Main relay gives power to the ECU and fuel pump... if the relay is bad, pump won't operate. So the car will most likely run on the fuel that is still under pressure from when you last turned the car off, but will stop imeddiately.

But back to your question... yes, if a relay is bad, fuel pump won't operate, and fuel pressure will drop.

On a side note, do not try buying new relay right away. It might be a waste of money. I just resoldered mine and it runs fine for a few months now.
    EGRI's Avatar
    EGRI Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

#3

Feb 21, 2005, 03:17 PM
    Thank you for the info. I apologize I didn't read your reply until after I revised my posting. I will give it a try.
    CroCivic91's Avatar
    CroCivic91 Posts: 729, Reputation: 23
    Senior Member

#4

Feb 22, 2005, 03:02 AM
    No problems. Do get back to us when you try the main relay.
    EGRI's Avatar
    EGRI Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

#5

Mar 11, 2005, 08:57 AM
    Thank you for your advice. Re-sodering the main relay appears to have worked. The real test will be in July and August when tempatures reach 90+. Even at that replacing it is certainly cheaper than a fuel pump. Thanks again.
    CroCivic91's Avatar
    CroCivic91 Posts: 729, Reputation: 23
    Senior Member

#6

Mar 11, 2005, 02:04 PM
    Woot! I'm truly glad that helped. Mine is working flawlessly for a few months now. But you're right, it will be put to real test in the summer!

Enjoy your Honda!
    Kimbur's Avatar
    Kimbur Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

#7

Nov 16, 2009, 12:31 PM
    I'm having the same problem with my 92 Honda Accord the distributor & wires, thermister? Injector fin have all been changed. We have even taken the computer from my daughter's Accord (same make an model) and nothing. I will act as if it wants to start and then nothing.
    TxGreaseMonkey's Avatar
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 15,944, Reputation: 5553
    Senior Cars & Trucks Expert

#8

Nov 16, 2009, 12:40 PM

Kimbur,

. Test all under hood and under dash fuses with a test light or multimeter:

http://www.askmehelpdesk.com/cars-tr...tml#post252145

. Try substituting the distributor from your daughter's Accord in your car, if it's the same engine.

If the Check Engine Light comes on and goes off after two seconds, when you turn the ignition switch to ON (Position II), and you can hear the fuel pump run, then the problem is likely with the distributor. Over 50% of new aftermarket distributors for Hondas don't work. I only recommend Genuine Honda distributors, for this reason.
    denardlove's Avatar
    denardlove Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

#9

Apr 22, 2011, 12:02 AM
    My honda accord starts but makes this loud whistling noise and cuts back off and I've put transmission fluid in it and still I get the same problem
    randy.m's Avatar
    randy.m Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

#10

Apr 27, 2011, 06:38 PM
    They put the relay in a bad spot that year. The relay can go out and some other parts of the car still work. I had the same problem in mine when it would get hot and heat up. Classic relay problem.

1992 Honda Accord [ 22 Answers ]

Where is the MAIN RELAY located?

1992 Honda Accord [ 2 Answers ]

My Accord won't turn over when the weather is hot or when driving it for period, parking and returning a short time later. (i.e. running into the store for 3 min). I heard it might be my main relay? Never a problem during cold weather.

1992 Honda Accord heating/air fan not spinning [ 10 Answers ]

My honda accord manual and third party accord manual both state the cooling relay for the heating air conditioning fan is located on the dash fuse box. I have looked at the fuse box several times and can't find any of the three relays that are supposed to be mounted on the box. Do I need to...

Honda Accord 1992 [ 2 Answers ]

Hi , I have a Honda Accord 1992 and its great except that it guzzles a lot of fuel. The average that it gives is around 6 kilometres per litre which I think is very less. Is this the normal average that this car gives or is there a serious problem with my car. Can any owner of the same vehicle...

Replacing Ignition in 1992 Honda Accord LX [ 2 Answers ]

I am trying to replace the ignition cylinder assembly in my 1992 Honda Accord LX, automatic. What is the trick to getting the old one out. I have the steering column disaasembled but I can't figure out how to actually remove the old cylinder. Any suggestios?