Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    onefstbird Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 5, 2009, 08:01 PM
    I am turning A 1/2 bath into a full bath and have questions before I start
    My House was built in 1963 the plumbing is all copper drain and water lines the Bathroom is on the 2nd floor in the master bedroom. Is is Possible to tap into the waste pipe for the toilet. The toilet is the end of the run to that side of the house. I am thinking the only way to access this is to take up the floor. My question would be is this all right to do and what fittings would I need to do this? I am not to familiar with plumbing. I can post pictures of the current layout. If needed I am going to have to bump one wall out to make room for the shower. Thanks in advance..

First time Poster!!
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jan 5, 2009, 08:16 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ;
    Possible to tap into the waste pipe for the toilet. the toilet is the end of the run to that side of the house.
    The problem I see here is if there is no toilet now then no tap into the smaller drain line for the new toilet. Your wording is a little gray.
    There needs to be a 3" waste line for the toilet and a 2" vent within 5' of that toilet.

Need better info please.
    onefstbird Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 5, 2009, 08:22 PM
    There is a toilet and a sink in there now They are right next to each other on the same wall. I am looking to add the Shower to make it a full bath. If sitting on the toilet the new shower would be to the front right of you. That is also the same wall I am going to have to move out to accommodate the shower. I will get some pictures to better understand layout.
    21boat Posts: 2,441, Reputation: 212
    Ultra Member

Jan 5, 2009, 08:36 PM

That's great a soil line is there The shower will need a 2" pvc drain with a vent to go with it . Hopefully you will have enough fall from shower to get to 3" soil line
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 6, 2009, 07:26 AM
    Not so fast with the shower vent Boat. If you connect the new shower drain to the lavatory drain line the shower will be wet vented and you'll not need a individual vent.
    Will this job be permitted and inspected? If so then check with your local Building Department. Good luck and thank you for rating my answer. Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I take the plug from the bath tub? It just keep turning. Take hair out. [ 14 Answers ]

How do I take the plug out from the bath tub? It just keep turning. Take hair out.

Converting half bath to full bath [ 9 Answers ]

My question refers to a half bath we are in the planning stages of converting to a full bath in the basement. Currently our basement has a half bath with toilet and sink on one half of the basement. There is then a shower on the other side of the basement with the washer and dryer, about 30 feet...

I want to convert a half bath into full bath [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I hope somebody can help! My Mom-in-law is visiting and she has difficulty climbing the stairs. Hence I wanted to convert the half bath at the lower level into a full bath.Any stop gap measure would also work.I really want a low cost solution as we are planning to sell our house in the next...

Adding a full bath in basement [ 1 Answers ]

I have a problem in my basement. I am adding a full bath and the problem I have is my main stack goes horizontal outside the house. Doesn't go into the slab. I have seen the up-flush toilet but very costly. Was wondering if there is another direction I can go. Any info will be helpful. ...

Cutting cement for plumbing 3/4 bath to full bath [ 3 Answers ]

We are currently in the middle of changing our basement 3/4 bath into a full bath. The bathroom is 5.5' by 13.5'. We want to put the sink where the shower was and put a tub/shower where the sink was. (because the space where the shower was is too small for a tub). The old sink drain is centered 4...

View more questions Search