Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mike005 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 30, 2006, 12:50 PM
    What is the minimum amount I should win to place a real estate lien?
    Hello,

I have a condo. My neighbor upstairs flooded my and does not want to pay for the water damages. If I take him to small claims court, win and he still does not want to pay. Can I place a lien against his condo? What is the minimum amount of money I should win to place a lien?

Thank you.

Mike
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 30, 2006, 12:56 PM
    I'm not sure you can place a lien. Judgements for something like this may not applicable to a lien against real property.

As for what you sue for, that has nothing to do with collecting. You sue for the cost of repairing the damages.

I'm wondering what you condo assn has to say about all this,
    mike005 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 30, 2006, 01:05 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by mike005
    Hello,

I have a condo. My neighbor upstairs flooded my and does not want to pay for the water damages. If I take him to small claims court, win and he still does not want to pay. Can I place a lien against his condo? What is the minimum amount of money I should win to place a lien?

Thank you.

Mike
    The association said this problem is between my neighbor and me upstairs. They do not want to be involved.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 30, 2006, 01:27 PM
    Sounds like cowardice to me. But the rest of what I said still stands. You need to check your local laws to see if you can place a lien on their condo. But even if you do, you can't collect until they sell.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Real Estate Lien [ 3 Answers ]

I have been sued by my X husband for 1/2 of the property in the home I lived in In Indiana. The divorce decree back in 1988 stated, when the wife in the future sells the property the husband will get 1/2 of the proceeds of the sale. I understate that. But I do not understand that the property was...

Real Estate [ 3 Answers ]

Does any one here know about real estate. I'm wondering which aspect of the whole career is best as in buying a house fixing it up and selling or going through companies. Or if they are two totally different things in all. Just any info would be appreciated. Thanks

Real Estate [ 7 Answers ]

We Are Selling Our Home Which Has Two Separate Properties. The People Who Want To Buy Both Properties Put In A Contract. Now They Wish To Divide To Two Contracts One For Each Property. Please Note That Both Properties Are Separately Addressed And Separately Deeded. If We Agree To This Are They...

Bankruptcy and Real Estate [ 7 Answers ]

My sister and her husband have filed for bankruptcy. They are losing their home And land. Their land adjoins my property. The land has been in our family for many years, and I really need to save their property for that reason alone. I would like to buy the land but don't know how to go about...

Real Estate [ 1 Answers ]

Hi: How do I find out whether a real estate broker is licensed?

View more questions Search