Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Larkemett Posts: 66, Reputation: 3

Mar 7, 2007, 07:37 AM
    Navel piercing not healing
    Hi,

I had my navel pierced about 4/5 months ago and at the time it seemed fine. I wear a surgical steel bar in it and clean it every other day with anti-bacterial wipes and germoline. Whenever a scab forms on one or other of the holes I pick it away and I don't let discharge build up on the jewellery. The problem is it won't heal. Both the holes are red, swollen and sore to touch. Sometimes they bleed and as I have mentioned before they leak a white-ish discharge. It also itches badly sometimes. Is it infected? Or is it just being stubborn about healing?

Any help appriciated.

P.S. I have never had healing problems with previous piercings (I have my eyebrow, ears and both my nipples done).
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Mar 7, 2007, 07:41 AM
    Well, it is not actually being stubborn about healing, rather you are being stubborn about letting it heal. LOL.

The scab that builds up is necessary for the healing process, so don't pick it off. This is why it is not healing.

Itching is a sign of healing.

If both of the holes are red, swollen and sore, this is now a sign of infection. You say whitish discharge, is it just white, or yellowish or greenish at all?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Mar 7, 2007, 07:43 AM
    Don't pick the scab off, it is there for a purpose. I wouldn't worry unless the discharge is yellow and . Just clean it, and keep your hands off it otherwise.

Mar 7, 2007, 07:46 AM
    The discharge is white and the piercer said it is "sluff" and is meant to be there.

He also said picking the scab was OK as it should not be allowed to stick to the jewellery but if its needed for the healing process then I shall leave it alone.

Thanks.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Mar 7, 2007, 07:49 AM
    Yes, scabs are absolutely necessary for healing. See, your skin is your first line of defense regarding infections. If there is a break in the skin such as a cut or piercing in this case, the skin is open for infection. The body creates a scab to close off the opening while the skin repairs itself.

If you pick the scab, you are not allowing the healing process to go forward. You are keeping the underlying tissue open and exposed to bacteria. Scabs are necessary to keep bacteria out once an opening in the skin has occurred.

I am wondering if you went to a reputable piercer. They should never give this kind of advice, it is potentially dangerous.

Mar 7, 2007, 07:55 AM
    I will certainly not be going back to that piercer again.

Thanks for all the advice.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Losing Weight & Getting a Navel Piercing [ 8 Answers ]

I am planning on getting my bellybutton pierced. I am in the process of losing weight (alot of it on my belly.) My question is, will it look funny after I lose weight if I get it pierced now? Should I wait until I'm closer to having a leaner tummy?

Navel piercing [ 2 Answers ]

Can sea salt water help my navel piercing to heal? What do I clean it with? How long do I have to wait to switch the jewlery? How long does it take to heal?

Re-piercing Navel [ 1 Answers ]

HI all, From what I have read lots of people had similar questions, but each case appears somewhat unique. So I thought I would pose my case and my question. I pierced my belly button 3 times already. But before that I had laparoscopy for a kidney infection and they instrumented through an...

Navel ring help [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have had my belly peirced for one year, first it was OK the after 6months it was tilted not its not titted but the peircing is like no peircedthrough any skin its like it disappeared. And under the ball its like purple scar tissue WILL THIS EVER GO AWAY?? :(

Navel [ 2 Answers ]

I had my belly pierced in hospital for like a week ago and the doctor told me to clean it with alcohol but now on the sides of my navel started to get red it doesn't really hurt or anything but when alcohol comes near it, it burns and I want to know is it starting to get infected or it just from...

View more questions Search