Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    omega47 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Sep 29, 2009, 05:27 AM
    Parental consent
    The biological father of my stepchildren refuses to sign the consent form to allow my wife to renew their american passports abroad and bring them back to the states. They are both u.s. citizens. What if anything can we do? They were never married and he doesn't pay child support or makes any attempts to have a relationship with the kids.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 29, 2009, 05:36 AM

He is their father and you cannot strip him of his rights. The mother would have to go to Court and attempt to get an Order forcing him to sign a consent.

Why hasn't she pursued him for child support? Now is the time to do so.

She cannot force him to have a relationship with the children but she CAN force him to support them.

Sep 29, 2009, 05:49 AM

She has filed for support and this is why he is upset and refusing to sign. He also lives in the u.s. and thinks that if the children are not here he doesn't have to support them.

Sep 29, 2009, 05:53 AM
    Further comments Ma'am?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 29, 2009, 06:51 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by omega47 View Post
    Further comments Ma'am?

I'm a volunteer so please give me more than 4 minutes to respond.

The mother - you have no legal standing - cannot force him to do much of anything but support the children BUT if she can show a good reason she can petition the Court to force him to sign for the children's passport.

These cases are seldom successful but I have seen it happen.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Parental Consent Lip Piercing [ 3 Answers ]

I am 17 years old and I'm aware that you need consent from a parent to get your lip pierced. My parents are fine with the piercing I want to get and even took me to the local piercing studio to get it but the studio told me they would not do that piercing for some reason (unknown to me or any other...

17yr old girl 16 yr old boy where can we get married without parental consent [ 8 Answers ]

Is there any state where my 16 yr old boyfriend and I can get married without my parents consent? Does it make any difference if I'm pregnant or not?

How old do you have to be to get a body piercing without parental consent? [ 6 Answers ]

I'm 16 years old. For two years I've been asking my mom if it would be OK if I got my eye brow pierced. She wouldn't be paying for it, my Dad would. (they're divorced) But she's persistently said no, no and no. So, the final time I ask, I want it to go like this, "I really don't want to have to do...

Parental consent form [ 3 Answers ]

Okay I am 17 years of age and I live in California. I want to get married in Arizona. In Arizona all you need is a notarized parental consent form. But I don't need my parent present to get my marriage licenese. Would a consent form from California be valid in Arizona and where would I get a...

View more questions Search