Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Aliya babie Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

Mar 15, 2008, 11:25 PM
    Cartilage piercing
    I`m 14 and I got my nose pierced about a month ago and there's this little bump that's red at the side. I've bin reading about keloids and I'm kind of scared that it is one and I'm not sure how to treat it yet. I also want to get my ear cartilage pierced but now I fear of getting a keloid. Will I styll get keloids by using needles? Or is keloids just when your skin is forced to be broken ?:(
    nauticalstar420 Posts: 3,699, Reputation: 423
    Ultra Member

Mar 16, 2008, 03:37 PM
    Keloids are bulit up scar tissue caused by excessive irritation, and repetative infection. Picking at your piercing will also cause keloids.

It does not sound to me like you have a keloid, but it does sound like Hypertrophic scarring, which is caused by irritation to the piercing. The irritation can come from a number of things, such as :

-Overcleaning
    -Overusing salt water
    -Changing the jewelry too soon, or too often.
    -Constantly playing with the piercing.

... among other things.

To get rid of the hypertrophic scarring, all you have to do is simply care for the piercing as you should. Since it is a month old, clean it no more than once a day with antibacterial soap. Be sure not to overclean! Do not touch the piercing unless it is to clean it, and even then make sure your hands are washed. Dirty hands spread bacteria. Pick one piece of jewelry, and stick with it for a while. Surgical steel, or hypoallergenic gold posts are best for nose piercings. If you are using salt water, it might be in your best interest to stop. Salt is very drying to the piercing and the skin around it, and it does not promote healing. If abused or overused, it does more harm than good.

If a piercing is not being taken care of properly, it does not matter whether you got it with a needle or a gun, keloids are still a possibility. You should be okay to get your Helix piercing as long as you commit to taking care of it.

Good luck! ;)
    nauticalstar420 Posts: 3,699, Reputation: 423
    Ultra Member

Mar 16, 2008, 06:38 PM
    Hey there again! For my own reasons, I prefer not to give advice via PM. Here is your PM :

heyy
    Thankz for the advicee
    Really appreciate itt
    Umm you seem to know a lot
    So I was wondering if I could make sure of something..

Does a keloid occur because you don't take care of it right
    Or can it just occur.. so if I get my helix pierced with a needle and take care of it properly I should be okay because I'm avoiding cartilage shattering , etc.
    I thought keloids also occur because of the force being applied
    Which is why I thought I would be safer with a needle
    Is that tru?
    Keloids have nothing to do with whether you get your piercing done with a needle or a gun. Either method you use, there is a possibility of getting a keloid. A keloid is an overgrowth in scar tissue. Doctors to not actually have a scientific reason why keloids form (source -- Keloid Causes, Diagnosis, Information, Prevention, Symptoms, and Treatment at MedicneNet.com ), but here are the circumstances where I have seen them form on piercings :

-Some people are just prone to keloids. If you have had a keloid on any injury in the past, it may not be a good idea for you to get another piercing.

-Excessive picking or scratching at your piercing. The more you open up the piercing by picking at it, the more scar tissue your body has to build to fix the problem.

-Repetative infection. Every time your piercing gets infected, it opens itself back up and needs to re-heal itself. Like the excessive picking, excessive infections will cause more scar tissue to fix the problem.

In the long run, the best thing for you to do is get your Helix pierced with a needle. The needle is more sterile, causes less trauma to the cartilage, and removes a small part of your cartilage making room for the jewelry that is inserted. The gun is not sterile, can shatter your cartilage, can get caught on the jewelry during discharge causing a tear in your ear, and the "piercers" who use them are not trained properly, or for a very long period. If you care for your helix properly, and are not prone to keloids, it should do fine.
    serenitynow422 Posts: 49, Reputation: 7

Mar 16, 2008, 07:37 PM
    If your really scared go to your piercer because you can figure out all this stuff yourself but a piercer will be able to answer your question and if not your piercer ask a doc... thats what I would do I just go my nose pierced like 3 days ago

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Cartilage Piercing? [ 3 Answers ]

I just got my cartilage pierced. It is like a regular cartilage piercing and i went to Piercing Pagoda. My ear is swollen but it doesn't hurt. My mom and I don't know whether we should take it out or keep it in and see what happens. They did it with a gun not a needle. Is there a difference between...

Cartilage piercing [ 12 Answers ]

Hello I am thinking of getting my cartilage pierced.. I was wondering how much that would hurt?

Cartilage Piercing [ 3 Answers ]

I want to get my own cartilage pierced. Say I am doing it right now, and all I have are cotton balls, a new earring, and an ice cube, could I pierce the cartilage? Or would it not be safe? And where is it okay to pierce the cartialge? Are there dangerous places to peirce it? I'm worried that if I...

Cartilage Piercing [ 16 Answers ]

Is this piercing okay to do with a peircing gun?:D

Cartilage Piercing [ 4 Answers ]

I got a third lobe and a Cartilage Piercing done on both ears a few days ago and they didn't hurt at all during or after the piercing unless I touched them or they were hit directly. They told me that my right ear would hurt a little more because it's my dominant side, but I was a little worried...

View more questions Search