Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Laurenparsons87 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 13, 2008, 05:02 AM
    How do I sex my parakeets?
    Hi, I have two indian ringneck parakeets and me and my mum can't tell if they are both male's both females or a breeding pair. Although I have looked up about them on the internet and search engines and it portrays them being male and female we don't know how old they are so we can't be sure anyone got any tips on how to solve our problem to tell them apart?:confused:
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Jul 13, 2008, 05:22 AM
    Look at the bridge of their beaks, if I recall correctly, the parakeets with a blue looking part across their beaks up at the top are male. And the females beak is all the same color. Pretty sure that is correct, God made the males in birds more colorful than the females. So yes I will say the bird(s) with the blue across their beaks is male.
    mrssittingduck Posts: 151, Reputation: 24

Aug 6, 2008, 04:28 PM
    Ummmm this is only true in certain breeds of birds, mainly the budgie

Ringnecks are very difficult to sex properly until they are around 3 years old,

As the males do not get the band around the neck until fully mature

There is a way of sexing them you can have them dna sexed this involves pulling out a feather which is then sent off to a lab and they can then tell you the sex,

The males will have a dark black band around the neck with pink around it too, the females will have no bar around the neck or a very feint black one but no pink... if you do a search for ringnecks on here I wrote some info about the birds which contains sexing information as well as breeding information...

Katie

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My parakeets [ 3 Answers ]

I have two indian ringneck parakeets 1 male blue and 1 female grey the female is about two years old and the male is about 6 - 7 months but the female has always been very aggressive I think maybe she was just plucked out of the wild but its not that its she is being very aggressive to the other...

Lice from Parakeets [ 1 Answers ]

My baby's moma is in at me about my son having head lice. I don't have lice. My other kids don't have lice. My fiancé don't have lice. I do however have parakeets. Can they have the same lice that is tranmittable to humans? Also is it true that black people don't get lice?

Breeding Indian Ringneck Parakeets [ 4 Answers ]

I have two Indian Ringnecks, male and female. The male is still a little young but they are definitely paired... well, protective of their cage. The female bites me unless she is allowed to come out on her own, and she never did this before. Before I build them a nest box I was hoping that someone...

Daschunds and Parakeets? [ 3 Answers ]

We have two mini piebald daschunds who are normal for their breed--they love to sniff and eat whatever they find on the floor. My daughter wants a parakeet, and as I expect a lot of birdseed debris on the floor, I am wondering if eating this would be harmful to the dogs. Also if the bird got...

View more questions Search