Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Lenny190690 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 8, 2007, 03:37 PM
    I have just started working at my local sports center and discovered that I now get the gym free, so I've decided I'm going to start using it. I was talking to my cousin and he was telling me the ins and outs and stuff like that, then he got on to protein powders he just said they would help that's all he said
    So...
    Do these help build muscle ?
    How much do they cost ?
    What is added with them to make it work?
    Are they safe to use ?

And when do I use it?
    Thomas1970 Posts: 856, Reputation: 131

Jan 8, 2007, 06:30 PM
    Hi Lenny,
    Protein powders in themselves won't stimulate added muscle growth, but they do provide all the essential amino acids (the ones your body cannot manufacture on its own), thus insuring you have all the necessary building blocks for proteins. If your exercise routine is sufficiently demanding to stimulate muscle growth, your body then has much of what it needs to build and repair muscle tissue.
    Prices vary greatly depending on the brand. I find GNC whey protein to be very good and reasonably priced.
    Often many things are added to protein powders to "enhance" them, such as creatine. Though there are precautions that must be followed with many of these additives, such as adequate water intake. Though there may be potential additional benefits with some of these additives, simple whey protein often gives sufficient results with comparatively less potential health risks.
    Excessive protein intake carries risks at any age, but can be of particular concern for those who are still growing. Too much dietary protein can cause liver and kidney dysfunction among other things. Care must be taken, but whey is generally quite safe taken in moderation.
    I myself take one scoop (shake) about a half hour after lifting, which is typically about four times a week for an average of about two hours a session. This is probably something of an excessive workout by most standards, but I am largely insured that my body utilizes this extra protein consumption, as I tend to eat a fairly high protein diet in addition. This amount has served me quite well for years.
    Sorry I can't be of too much more help. Stay healthy. Take care. :)
    noeymc Posts: 77, Reputation: 1

Feb 28, 2007, 10:09 PM
    I use musical milk its good for people under 18 their are things out their that will make you bulk up go to a store that sells it and ask most people who work their use it or no about it

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Kojic acid, Arbutin and vitamin C powders [ 4 Answers ]

I've been searching for skin lightening products and I found Kojic acid, Arbutin and vitamin C powders on Ebay... They says that you can mix one of them into your moisteriser and use it... Have you guys tried that and please tell me the intructions how I can make it... Thanx a lot.

Protein powder [ 2 Answers ]

How long before protein powder expires?

Protein Powder [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I was wondering would know if a protein powder can be harmful passed its expiration date? Thanks, Rik

Too much protein? [ 9 Answers ]

I have been told that because I am weight lifting, I should get at least 1 gram of protein/day so that I can get gains. How much protein should I consume each day if I am 15; 130 lbs; and 20 on the bmi chart?

Whey protein:can it harm me? [ 2 Answers ]

I am 15 years old and I am hooked on whey protein simply because (I think)it tastes good after my workout and it speeds my recovery with fast digesting protein. I get EAS 100% whey protein and only take it after my work out. I am wondering if it is true that the whey can get "stuck" in your...

View more questions Search