Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tigerlilly3021 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 13, 2006, 12:04 PM
    Long haired, matted cat
    Hello,

I have a long haired cat. I have had her for 3 years and never experienced this problem. She has a clump of feces matted into the hair on her behind. It is a pretty big clump.I have tried to get it off but she will not allow it. Now she is starting to stink and it is stuck in her fur really well. I don't know what to do. I was going to take her to get groomed but they want her current shot record. I just moved and don't have it.Please help.
    orange Posts: 1,364, Reputation: 197
    Ultra Member

Apr 13, 2006, 01:15 PM
    Ideally of course, it would be good to get her professionally groomed right now. But since you can't do that, do you have someone who could help you by holding her while you carefully cut out the clump? I've done this before with long-haired cats... I would suggest you get a "partner" who can hold the cat still on a table, or vice versa, you hold the cat, and your partner cuts out the clump. After you've gotten out as much of the clump as you can, give the cat a bath and get rid of the rest by gently washing the area. Again, a partner would be helpful for this. If you've never bathed your cat before, here are some tips:

Clip the cat's claws before the bath. This will make the cat less apt to cause some real damage if she scratches you. Use a cat shampoo, or if you can't afford that, baby shampoo works just as well. If you're bathing the cat in a bathtub, don't fill the bathtub up with water, as this will freak a cat out really badly. Instead fill a few buckets with warm water (I use old ice cream containers). Place the cat in the dry bathtub, and while one person holds the cat, the other can gently pour the water over the cat to wet the fur, soap the cat up well, and then use the rest of the water in buckets for rinsing. Wrap the cat in a towel and rub it gently to soak up excess moisture. Then, as long as it's warm enough in your place, just let the cat run around damp (blow dryers might scare the cat even further). She will likely spend a good hour or so grooming herself. Give her a special treat to relieve the trauma of the bath.

Good luck, I hope you are able to get someone to help you!
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Apr 14, 2006, 06:26 AM
    Hi, Tiger,
    You can always have the shot records faxed to a Vet in your local area, or faxed to you at a given number, if you don't have a fax machine at home.
    The answer before this one is good. Sometimes, the only way is cutting it off with scissors; with someone helping you.
    Best of luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How long does it take? [ 2 Answers ]

I have been in the divorce process now for over 2 1/2 years. I feel let down by my attorney as he has allowed both my ex-wife and her attorney to complete pregnancies during this process. Even though I agreed to a settlement last July we are still no further ahead. Do I have a legitimate gripe...

Has it been too long? [ 2 Answers ]

I'm 19 years old and I dropped out of school in the 9th grade. I was currently 17 then because I was behind. How can I get all of it back by going back to school? Do you think it's too late?

Cats Matted Fur! [ 1 Answers ]

My cat was quite short haired, but of late she has bloomed into a mass of fur, she is constantly grooming and generally keeps her fur looking great but I've found some mats of hair at the back of her legs I keep shaving them off, but they keep coming back again, when she's been grooming herself...

View more questions Search