Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    alivengood Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 25, 2007, 09:42 AM
    Sign over my rights
    My ex-girlfriend moved my daughter out of state last year. I have paid support for 9 yrs. I do not get to see my daughter because of the move and I cannot afford to go back to court. How do I go about relinquishing my rights and does my ex need to approve?
    tawnynkids Posts: 622, Reputation: 111

May 25, 2007, 10:43 AM
    You can not afford to go back to court but you can afford to relinquish your rights? Had you seen your daughter until the move? Think long and hard, IF you can even relinquish your rights (which you probably can't) you will only remove your right to have any say in her upbringing and any right to see her, you will not remove your obligation to pay child support. Voluntary removal of your rights depends on a lot of different factors and will ultimately be up to the Court to decide if it will be granted in the best interest of your daughter. It will cost you to do this also. You won't be able to do it for free.
    startover22 Posts: 2,758, Reputation: 363
    Ultra Member

May 25, 2007, 06:11 PM
    Quit your job, stop what you are doing and show your daughter that you actually care about her. Go where she goes, take control! Good idea?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 25, 2007, 06:33 PM
    First relinquishing or giving up your rights, has nothing to do with paying child support. ( unless a step parent wants to adopt)
    You just lose any rights to visit, but still have to pay.
    If you are paying too much, you can have the amount reviewed by the court if your income has changed and you are paying too much.

But why did you allow the move without terms for your visit, that is what you had the right to contest in court before she moved.

But sorry give up rights or not, child support will continue.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I sign my rights off? [ 8 Answers ]

Hello, I have to 2 kids in Pa and I don't get to see them and they have a new mother now... I'm paying child support for them I don't know why I should pay I don't talk to them or see them Please tell me how!!

He wants to sign over my parental rights [ 6 Answers ]

Before my husband and I met he dated this girl who told him she was on birth control and everything else. Well she got pregnant and he left for Iraq, he tried to be a part of the babies life then but she told him it wasn't his and she wanted nothing to do with him. He got out of the military and...

How do I sign my rights away? [ 3 Answers ]

I have a three year old daughter that lives in Kentucky with her mother, and I currently am married to another woman whom I have two children with and we reside in Florida. I am not allowed to see my child in Kentucky because her mother won't let me. I would like to give up my rights to her, what...

Can he sign over rights? [ 3 Answers ]

I am 22 years old and live in California and recently found out that I am pregnant. I am happy but my ex boyfriend is not. He is in the army and feels this baby and I will ruin his military career. He feels I am only keeping this baby so I can receive the benefits from the Army. He wants to sign...

Getting Him To Sign His Rights Over [ 1 Answers ]

I am trying to find out how I go about getting my ex to sign his rights over and whether I can have him forced to sign them. My ex husband is a danger to my children and I have had to have two protection orders filed against him and five warrants for harassment and I just filed another for...

View more questions Search