Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mekaysmom Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 10, 2007, 06:11 AM
    Writing a Letter requesting someone to sign rights over
    K I am trying to write a letter and request my daughters father to sign his rights over. She is 7 years old and we want my boyfriend and other daughters father to adopt her. Her father does not see her, he comes like once or twice a year to see her and then he is gone again and we don't hear from him was a time when we didn't hear from him in 3 years. He as well does not pay child support and goes to jail about once a month over that. My problem is I do not no how to word the letter requesting him to sign over his rights.

:confused:
    macksmom Posts: 1,787, Reputation: 152
    Ultra Member

Aug 10, 2007, 07:28 AM
    Have you contacted an attorney to see the laws in your state?

I know in Ohio a boyfriend would not be able to adopt you child, your husband would once you have been married a year.

I know this is not an answer to your question, but the reason I ask is if the laws are the same where you live and you have to be married for a year before the adoption I wouldn't send a letter asking him if he will sign over his rights... he may get very upset and it would just cause you problems until you get married, and for a year afterwards.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 10, 2007, 07:33 AM
    First I would get married first. I would then hire an attorney to petition the court for adoption. The attorney will then write the letter for you.

But, if you want to write it yourself, keep it simple:

John and I are getting married and he wants the adopt Jane. I've enclosed a form where you can relinquish your parental rights for Jane to clear the way for the adoption. Please sign it and have it notarized and send it back.
    GV70 Posts: 2,918, Reputation: 283
    Family Law Expert

Aug 10, 2007, 03:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    First I would get married first. I would then hire an attorney to petition the court for adoption. The attorney will then write the letter for you.

But, if you want to write it yourself, keep it simple:

John and I are getting married and he wants the adopt Jane. I've enclosed a form where you can relinquish your parental rights for Jane to clear the way for the adoption. Please sign it and have it notarized and send it back.
    :D :D :D You have great sense of humor!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 10, 2007, 04:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by GV70
    :D :D :D You have great sense of humor!
    What you don't think he will sign it?
    GV70 Posts: 2,918, Reputation: 283
    Family Law Expert

Aug 10, 2007, 04:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    What you don't think he will sign it?
    Maybe... if she will write a letter to him as you gave as an example:D :D
    It is a joke.If I were she I would write more improper words than yours.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

About writing acovering letter of company profile [ 3 Answers ]

We are in the field of steel fabrication. I want to know how to draft and write a impressive Introduction/covering letter using impressive words and writings

Offer Letter Sign-On Bonus [ 2 Answers ]

I accepted employment at a company that gave me a $30,000 sign on bonus to compensate for forfeiting a semi-annual bonus at my last company. The offer letter stated that if I left prior to 2 years of service that I have to pay back in full. (Employment is in California) If I have already paid...

Sign over my rights [ 3 Answers ]

My ex-girlfriend moved my daughter out of state last year. I have paid support for 9 yrs. I do not get to see my daughter because of the move and I cannot afford to go back to court. How do I go about relinquishing my rights and does my ex need to approve?

Writing Compelling Grant Letter of Intents [ 1 Answers ]

Where can I find Letter of Intent examples for a program grant from a non-profit organization?

View more questions Search