Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tmatthews17lms Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 7, 2006, 10:10 PM
    Debts owed from mother who died intestate
    My mother recently died with no will, no (real) assets but an enormous amount of debt. She was receiving SSI and Food Stamps, and was on Medicare. She had been diagnosed with cervical cancer in January 2006 and Medicare had paid some of her medical bills, but there is still a large amount owed from her radiation treatments and various other medical procedures, as well as other outstanding bills.

I understand that I cannot inherit her debts, but I'm not sure what verbiage to use when contacting/writing the creditors. Also, would a copy of the death certificate suffice or would I need to send an official death certificate with each letter? The official certificates are costly.

The time and attention to my question is greatly appreciated.

TM
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Dec 8, 2006, 07:02 AM
    I would return any mail addressed to her unopened and marked Deceased. If any creditors contact you directly, simply inform them that your mother died with no assets. If they ask for proof you can provide them with a copy of the death certificate. A photocopy will suffice unless they demand a certified copy.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My mother acts like a bill collector more than a mother [ 9 Answers ]

I need an opinion... my mother has lent me money for some computer programs and we get our cell phones together so I deposit mine in her account every month to pay for mine and pay her monthly to pay her back for my programs. Lately, my work has been slow, and I will not have the money until next...

Paycheck Owed to me- How do I take this to court? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello and thank you for reading and giving any advice. I took a temporary job from a woman who does contracts with construction companies to clean up after them. The 2 paychecks I got from her were both late and one bounced. She still owes me a 3rd paycheck of over $2,000 for over a month of...

Mother died left land and payments to me [ 6 Answers ]

We live in fla. THe lady whom my mother had a contract to refused to honor my mothers contract, and is making us start over on the payments for the land. My mother died of cancer after paying on the land for 5 years. The mortgage company did honor her contract for the double wide that was placed...

My father died now my mother is kicking us out. [ 15 Answers ]

:confused: My father died a couple yrs ago. My mother decides to bring in another man into her life. She is asking my brother and me to move out or buy the house off her. My question is: are we entitled to any part of the house? My father didn't have time to do his will. The house is now paid off....

Am I liable for money owed? [ 15 Answers ]

I needed a temporary place to stay while going to school and a friend of mine had an apartment she was moving out of... but had a roommate. My friend took her name off the lease (but did not take the electricity out of her name) and so it was only the other girls name on the lease with no bills in...

View more questions Search