Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Lucyrose13 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 11, 2010, 09:20 PM
    8week old puppy not eating a lot
    We brought our puppy Friday the 8th of October from a breeder. She is a west highland white terrier. The first couple of days she ate her meals, but coming into her 5th day in her new home, she doesn't seem to be eating. We are feeding her the same as what the breeder instructed, with 5 meals a day, breakfast, mid morning, lunch, dinner and before bed. She eats her dinner and her before bed but anything then that she doesn't. She also is not interested in dry food. The breeder had her on Eukanuba but she won't eat that so we tried her on the My Dog for puppies dry food and still not interested.
    lJ. Posts: 446, Reputation: 21

Oct 19, 2010, 02:43 PM
    Consult a vet if she is not eating. Has this puppy been to a vet yet? How long has her diet been changed?
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Oct 19, 2010, 02:53 PM

When ever I bring a new puppy home, I always bring them to the vet for a once over. If you puppy is other wise healthy, than he will not stave himself. You can always try a little warm water in with the dry food, and just put it down and walk away. He will eat when he gets hungry. The more you fuss and give in to table scraps and wet food, the pickier he will become.

He could not be eating as much because of the change in environment, missing his mom and litter mates. Again if he is a healthy pup free of worms and fleas and no other ailments, he could be just testing the waters to see what other goodies he might get.
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Oct 20, 2010, 03:54 PM

Your feeding too much! Cut back to maybe 3 times a day. If still not interested in food, go to two times a day.

Breeders feed multiple times a day to make darn sure that everyone gets a chance to eat. You're feeding way too much and your pup is never allowed to get hungry. Cut her back. Work with what she is going to do. I would not recommend free feeding, but see if feeding 3 times a day helps. If she still picks, cut back to 2 times a day.

I'm not a huge fan of canned food. But, if you feel this is the only way to get your dog to eat, then split the portion up. Half morning half night to equal the full serving that she is suppose to eat.

Eukanuba isn't the best food ever. I also never heard of "my dog". A quality food will always help. Eukanuba is full of fillers, it could be a reason why she isn't eating a lot. High calories mean less food to be eaten. I like Wellness.. It's a really good food. You can find it at Petsmart or Petco. You might want to look into that.

Good luck
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Oct 23, 2010, 05:07 PM

Hi Lucyrose, from the brands you suggested I am guessing you are in Australia?
    My fur kids love Mydog but it isn't the best food, there are quite a few preservatives and fillers in it. If you are willing to spend a bit of money on food try Advance Rehydratable. It's what my pup was on while he was growing, it's specially made to be soaked in water easy to make it mushy. About $17 for a 3kg bag.
    Another brand that most dogs love is Royal Canin, it's very oily and smelly but very good for them, my dogs go crazy for it but last time I bought that I think I paid around $13 for a 1kg bag.

As Lucky said, way too many feedings. I feed young pups a max of 4 meals, but usually 3 does the trick. Once they hit around 4 months they get cut back to 2 meals.

Our puppy routine here is this:
    9am - Breakfast of weetbix and puppy milk
    12pm - small bowl of dry food
    6pm - Wet food or soaked dry food for dinner

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

If my puppy is eating good can the puppy go to the owner [ 3 Answers ]

My 6wk old puppy is eating puppy food and drinking water.are they ready to go to its owner

Crate Training 8week Lab puppy. [ 1 Answers ]

About a week ago we got a 8weeks old black lab puppy, having done a lot of homework, we decided to crate train him, he does like his crate, we feed and water him inside, however he doesn't seem to like being closed up inside, its not to do with being on his own, because he goes to bed at night in...

Eating a lot of grass, pants hard [ 4 Answers ]

I have a golden retriever, 3yrs. who is 8lbs. Overweight, doesn't seem to have much energy. Eating a lot of grass and pants hard all the time. Travels with us a lot.

Beagle puppys 3 month old ( 2 )are not eating a lot? [ 1 Answers ]

4 males 1 Female Female and one male are not eating much the last couple of days. These puppys have not had any shots yet! But this weekend I am going to get their shots but am concerned about the ones that are not eating much. This just started a couple of days ago. What symptoms should I look...

Eating Alot/ Periods [ 2 Answers ]

Hey... This is kind of late to ask since I have had my period for 4 years but, Is it normal to eat A lot on your period? Its ridiculous how much I eat the first 2 days I get my period. I dotn seem to put on weight when I have my period also, Why I do not know haha But, is it normal?...

View more questions Search