Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    laBen Posts: 9, Reputation: 4

May 31, 2009, 04:33 PM
    Crate Training 8week Lab puppy.
    About a week ago we got a 8weeks old black lab puppy, having done a lot of homework, we decided to crate train him, he does like his crate, we feed and water him inside, however he doesn't seem to like being closed up inside, its not to do with being on his own, because he goes to bed at night in the kitchen with the crate open, and he's fine. My question is, even though right now he's very well behaved, is it the wrong thing to do to allow him to sleep in the kitchen without locking the crate, as what is the real purpose and as he gets bigger and chewing becomes more of a problem, we won't be able to close him up. Should we just continue to allow him to sleep with the door open, if that's what makes him happy?
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Jun 1, 2009, 02:36 AM

It really depends on where you plan of keeping the lab when he is older.

If he is allowed to have the crate door opened when you go out or are sleeping then it really is up to you, it will have no ill effect on the dog, it is the same as someone having a basket for their dog to sleep in instead of a crate.

But if you plan on locking him in the crate when you go out or at night then you must not leave it open for him at night.
    Leaving it open sometimes and not others will only confuse him an the times where he is locked away he won't understand and think he is being punished.
    If you start always locking the crate at night or when you go out now, every time then he won't think it is a punishment, he will just take it as "this is what happens when they go out"
    Always remember to leave fresh water in the crate and plenty of toys to stop boredom.
    You could even consider leaving a radio on for him when you are out as this often stops them from crying or barking.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Separation anxiety and crate training issues. How can we house train without crate [ 8 Answers ]

Hi, We have got what is now a 7 month old black lab mix. Nearly everything I've read about house training involves crate training. Unfortunately, our puppy has some severe anxiety issues (separation anxiety being one of them). We are currently working with a trainer to try to help her with...

Roommate Crate Training Puppy [ 4 Answers ]

Hey Everyone, My roommate purchased a cocker spaniel with another breed mixed, and he is only 4 weeks old. He's leaving the puppy in a small crate for 8hrs+ while he's at work. Subsequently, I've been home and I've let him out for elimination. What my roommate doing, is too early for a puppy...

New puppy dilema during crate training [ 3 Answers ]

We just got a 12 week old boxer puppy, Oskar. We got him this last weekend Halloween weekend, and had to start work on Monday so we are crating him while we are away.Here is our scheduals so you all know. Tues Thurs and Fri my husband goes to work at 6, he then lets the dog out to potty. I wake up...

Min pin puppy - crate training [ 8 Answers ]

Hey everyone I have a few questions about crate training and my puppy. My husband and I just got a 6 week old min pin and last night was her first night at our home and we put her in her crate and at every hour she would cry for 35 minutes then stop then do it all over again. And she peed in the...

Puppy Crate Training [ 1 Answers ]

We have just bought a choc Lab. We had her from a proper breeder, and she's a pedigree, and now 9wks old. The first two nights we left her downstairs in a "pen". Both nights she cried and yelped all night. She also fouled in there. The 3rd night we had a crate for her. We did as the book...

View more questions Search