Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TangoRed Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 19, 2007, 08:03 AM
    Asking again, Social Security & Credit Card Debt
    I had the entire amount in my checking account emptied by an old Credit Card debt, that yes, I have been to court and do owe the amount but my situation is that now I am retired and live on Social Security. At the time of the garnishment there were other funds in this checking account other than my SS check, but now I am wondering what will happen to any future SS checks ? There seems to be a difference of opinion as to if they can take this SS Check every month until debt is paid or not? Any advice will be welcome, thanks.
    TangoRed
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

Apr 19, 2007, 09:03 AM
    Read this post than file a notice with the court for this exemption.

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/bankru...ent-59091.html
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 19, 2007, 01:40 PM
    Stop any automatic depoist today, if any money goes in there, it will be taken and then you you will have to prove where it came form, once it hits the bank it is just money comengled with other money.

So unless you get it cleared up, stop the auto deposit.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

About Social Security & Medicare Withholdings? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi. I am an F-1 student in my 4th year in the US. I am working under CPT for an off-campus company. The social security and Medicare taxes were withheld from my last month's pay check. So I talked to the company secretary and told her that I should be exempt from those withholdings. I also gave...

Credit card debt & a 3rd party collector [ 3 Answers ]

To be honest my credit card debt to American Express has gotten up to about $12,000 because of all the interest. It has been sent to GC Services, a third party collector. I am in school and will be done for the summer in about a month and will be working full-time then but am only working...

Social Security & Garnishment [ 2 Answers ]

I have a joint bank account with my sister and we both deposit funds into this account. My Social Security check is automatically deposited each month. I have just received a Garnishment Notice from the bank that all the funds were taken out of the account for an old credit card debt I have, but...

Served summons&complaint for credit card debt [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I live in Michigan. I was served a summons and complaint twenty minutes ago for failure to pay for credit that I obtained about 5-6 years ago. Asset Acceptance purchased all 3 of the charge cards that I was unable to pay due to divorce and low paying jobs. I am now remarried, but I own...

Medicare & Social Security Tax [ 7 Answers ]

Hi ATE: If I want to claim for the Medicare & Social Security Tax during my OPT year (mid 2004 - mid2005) right now, is it possible? The situation is that I'm not a valid alien anymore since I've returned to my country on mid 2005. Thanks, Jesslyn

View more questions Search