Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    comedianatheart Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 29, 2007, 07:43 PM
    Can a court summons be served in another Country?
    Can an American Court sapena be served in Canada? If so how would it be done,, sent to the Canadian authorities to serve?

Also, if there is a sapena out for a person, would they be flagged if they are in Canada and go back into the US? Could they be forced to stay in the US once the sapena is served?

Thanks!
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Mar 29, 2007, 07:53 PM
    Please see the following site:

http://www.state.ak.us/courts/shcinternat.htm
    GaryArt Posts: 43, Reputation: 12

Mar 31, 2007, 01:41 AM
    A duly issued summons can be served anywhere. The server would have to be a person authorized to make service of pleadings from the jurisdiction involved, regardless of where it was to be served. For example, if the proceedings were in Dade County, Florida, and the rules there authorized "... any Florida law enforcement officer ... " to make service, then a Florida law enforcement officer would have to travel to the recipient's location to make service. In other words, if a person was not authorized to make service in Dade County, Florida, then he could not make service elsewhere, regardless of his status there.

You cannot be detained based upon a subpoena. However, failure to respond to a subpoena could get you either cited for contempt (and arrested for it), or cause a default judgment to be entered (you lose for not showing up). Also, under certain circumstances, a court could order you detained if it found that you were (a) a material witness and (b) your presence could not otherwise be ensured. In such a case, the court would issue a material witness warrant for your arrest.

There are also orders known as a "subpoena duces tecum" ("be here, and bring the following with you"), and a"writ of replevin" or "writ of bodily attachment" - those apply where you have something I claim is mine, and you fail to respond to a subpoena - in which case the Court can order you jailed until you produce the item, or tell where it is.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Received court summons in my door and have 2 weeks to court date [ 9 Answers ]

I received a summons on my door for a $5,000 debt to american express. Lawyer office is about 1 1/2 from my home... I am willing to pay the debt, do I have to show up for court? I am going to be out of town and won't be around on the court date... can I call the attorney's office and settle the...

Court papers served on a paid credit card bill [ 1 Answers ]

How do I respond back to the superior court on a summons that I have paid the bill in full. I have a letter written by the collection agent that states that I have paid this amount in full. What court papers do I need to fill out because they have requested "a written response in proper legal...

Served summons&complaint for credit card debt [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I live in Michigan. I was served a summons and complaint twenty minutes ago for failure to pay for credit that I obtained about 5-6 years ago. Asset Acceptance purchased all 3 of the charge cards that I was unable to pay due to divorce and low paying jobs. I am now remarried, but I own...

Court Summons [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there, my boyfriend received a court summons for an upaid credit card debt of 2500 plus interest. We tried to make a payment years ago but they refused because we could not pay in full-like $50 a month. On the summons paper it says for us to get a lawyer and we need to respond within 30 days....

Served with court papers regarding a CC debt. [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, My question is I live in New York and was served with court papers regarding a CC debt that I have no idea what it is I have never had a credit card with the bank that they are stating on the court papers... I know I must present myself or at least my answer but I have no idea what this is...

View more questions Search