Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tatidawn Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 21, 2007, 07:32 PM
    ICBC statue of limitations?
    HI, my husband has a few debts with ICBC, and I have a few questions regarding the statue of limitations for ICBC.
    1. how long are they allowed to keep the debt?
    2. do they have a limitation?
    3. is the time from from the date that you received the tiket/fines or from the time that its due?
    4. if what is owed is already past 6-7 years and they haven't "gotten rid of the debt" are they allowed keep the debt there until you pay?

My husband hasn't made any payments, but has tried to work out a deal with them to get the debts reduced, which they refused to do.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks
    Cara
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Mar 21, 2007, 07:37 PM
    Hi, to answer your questions, after 6-7 years, depends where in canada, the statute of limitations for debt has expired. This is counted from the date of your last payment. After this time has expired they can no longer sue you but you will always owe them the money unless you declare bankruptcy, the debt never "disapears" from their books.

So they can keep calling him as long as they want to and can pass the debt to a collection agency once they feel they won't get paid directly, once it goes to a collection agency they may be willing to accept a partial settlement.
    tatidawn Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 21, 2007, 09:03 PM
    Hi
    Thank you for the answer, but I'm asking specifically for ICBC. which is in BC, Canada. A friend of mine's boyfriend had his debt "removed", and was told that he didn't owe them anymore but that he should still pay them the money in "good faith". I just need to know more specifically whether its 6-7 years for ICBC.
    dragotronian Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 12, 2010, 07:13 PM

Hi Tatidawn,

I'm in the same situation would love to exchange information about it. I'm currently battling my collections guy over it.

Please get back to me I'd love to exchange info on this.
    Lydille Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 18, 2010, 10:45 PM
    I am in the same situation too. My husband owes over 100,000 due to an uninsured accident as a teen. It is affecting us greatly. Would love some answers
    zeng1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 24, 2011, 12:01 PM
    It would be great to hear how things pan out for every one. I as well am in the same situation. I had an uninsured accedent back in 1998 and ICBC is still breathing down my back for money. The amount is quite substantual and unless I win the lottery I could never repay.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Statue of Limitations [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I have a question about the statue of limitations. In 2003 my boyfriend at the time, (now husband) was injured at a rodeo in Utah. At that time we lived in Idaho and still do, we were just at a rodeo when he was injured. We received a bill for charges and paid those charges off. But apparently...

Statue of limitations [ 2 Answers ]

What is the statue of limitations for credit card debt in the state of New Jersey?

Statue of Limitations on a warrant [ 1 Answers ]

I left a work release in another state and the state put out a warrant for my arrest. I am now living in another state where they can't extradite me. I have family back in the state that I left. I have heard that there's a 5 year limit and the state can't do anything if I go back is this true?

Statue of limitations [ 2 Answers ]

Have an old debt owing to a city for a speeding ticket, 17 years ago. Does statue of limitations take affect?

Statue of limitations in nova scotia [ 4 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me the statue of limitations of credit card debt in Nova Scotia and where I can call or find this proof.I was told there was no such thing but I know this is not true.

View more questions Search