Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AKimberley Posts: 5, Reputation: 2

Feb 23, 2007, 04:52 PM
    Settling debt with a Collection Agency
    Here's the thing. I've only been working for 1 year after not having a job for almost 2 years. Obviously I wasn't able to make the monthly payments on my credit cards. I told the girl that on what I make a week, I could not possibly pay the 200-300 dollars a month that the creditor wanted. They told me to go get a loan. In the first place, why would I get a loan knowing I can't make the monthly payment they would want and secondly, no bank would give me a loan with my credit history, so why would they tell me to get a loan??
    Morganite Posts: 863, Reputation: 86

Feb 23, 2007, 05:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by AKimberley
    Here's the thing. I've only been working for 1 year after not having a job for almost 2 years. Obviously I wasn't able to make the monthly payments on my credit cards. I told the girl that on what I make a week, I could not possibly pay the 200-300 dollars a month that the creditor wanted. They told me to go get a loan. In the first place, why would I get a loan knowing I can't make the monthly payment they would want and secondly, no bank would give me a loan with my credit history, so why would they tell me to get a loan????
    Getting a loan would only dig you deeper into the debt hole. Send a regular payment of what you can afford. If your debt exceeds 12,000.00 you can consult a debt management company who will take over the administration of the account, and deal with your CC Co. If it is under, there might still be help available from the Consumer Credit people. You cannot pay what you do not have, andmost companies will realise that. However, your payments need to be as close to the minimum as possible because if they are not, you will not be keeping up with the interest that is accruing on a daily basis. You will only be re-arranging the deck chairs on the Titanic as is sinks.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Collection Agency [ 7 Answers ]

I was contacted by a collection agency a few months ago about a debt for an emergency room visit. I told them I had not received any bills, and that I would try to apply for charity care. Two months later they called back. I told the woman I was speaking to that I would like a copy of the bill...

Collection Agency - Over 2 years old debt? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi My parents received a call from a Collection Agency regarding ME They took the info and I called them Apparently over 2 years ago I had an outstanding bill with Bell Canada I asked the Collection Agency to tell me what was on the Bill They stated they only had a dollar amount and no...

Talk to a Collection Agency- NEED HELP PLEASE! [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, I just got a disturbing phone call today about a debit that my mother owes, its for 20000.00 and it totally slip her head because she just recently was in the hospital for cancer treatment, well anyway, talk with the collection agency and they said they wanted to settle before they sue,...

Overzealous collection agency, what to do? [ 6 Answers ]

OK, so approx. 2 years ago I went through somewhat of a financial disgrace... Lost basically everything, why is not important. Throughout this I never declared bankruptcy and continued to do the best I could to pay down various debts. Through chargeoffs, late payments, and having 0 available...

What to say to collection agency? [ 1 Answers ]

Book Antiqua1blue My question is probably a common knowledge question, however not for me. About 2 years ago an ex-girlfriend (of Course) and I went into a jewelry store that my ex-girlfriends best friends mom worked. We found a ring of course that total was around $1200.00. I put 25% down. At...

View more questions Search