Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    quirkee1 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Feb 5, 2007, 09:04 AM
    Summons from Collection Agency
    I received a summons this weekend from a collection agency. It is for a credit card debt of $2,000. I was advised to appear in court 30 days from the date on the summons which is January 25, 2007.

I had resumed payment of this credit card in December, when the summons was filed, after not paying for about five months. To date, I have reduced the debt by $300.

I called the collection agency and left a voicemail with the person to whom I was referred.

I find it odd that I can still make payments through the credit card website. Is this normal?

What will happen when I appear in court? Should I continue making payments ($100 per month) to the credit card company and receive proof from my bank of the payments for my court date? Will the collection agency want to make arrangements with me? I also received a phone message from them on Friday asking me to call them which I heard on my machine after I got the mail.

Thank you for any help.

~ E.
    MARK M Posts: 39, Reputation: -1

Feb 5, 2007, 09:13 AM
    First of all I would cut up the said card to stop the temptation of using it again. I would carry on paying the payments . I don't know if the rule applies in the us as is does in the uk. But as long as you are paying some off the amount every month the company can't do anything and I would think the courts will agree a suitable amout for you to pay off each month between you and the credit company I hope this helps
    quirkee1 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Feb 5, 2007, 01:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by MARK M
    first of all i would cut up the said card to stop the temptation of using it again. i would carry on paying the payments . i dont know if the rule applies in the us as is does inthe uk. but as long as you are paying some off the amount every month thecompany can't do anything and i would think the courts will agree a suitable amout for you to pay off each month between you and the credit company i hope this helps
    I still don't understand... why would I have access to the original credit card company for payment if this was going to go to court?

I contacted the collection agency/lawyer's office today. They claim to want to view my paystubs. Is this legal?

Thank you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Collection Agency [ 7 Answers ]

I was contacted by a collection agency a few months ago about a debt for an emergency room visit. I told them I had not received any bills, and that I would try to apply for charity care. Two months later they called back. I told the woman I was speaking to that I would like a copy of the bill...

Summons from Collection Agency [ 6 Answers ]

Recently received summons from a collection agency that a lawsuit has been started against me. What is the best way to respond to the court. I am unemployed, have no income or savings. I have not been working due to illness and am waiting for judgement on disability. Any advice greatly appreciated.

Court Summons for debt collection [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, Today, I have been served by a court clerk who came to my home and gave me a letter stating that I have 20 days to file a response in court in regards to a credit card debt collection. I really don't know the agency but I am suspecting that one of the credit cards I have must sold the...

Collection Agency question [ 3 Answers ]

I was sued by a collection agency and on the judgement from the court it says we owe 896.00. I was to pay 350.00 a month until paid in full which if I am just paying the 896.00... I would be finished this month. However, even though the judgement was for 896.00, the agency claims I owe them over...

What to say to collection agency? [ 1 Answers ]

Book Antiqua1blue My question is probably a common knowledge question, however not for me. About 2 years ago an ex-girlfriend (of Course) and I went into a jewelry store that my ex-girlfriends best friends mom worked. We found a ring of course that total was around $1200.00. I put 25% down. At...

View more questions Search