Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cheshirekatz Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 14, 2006, 08:23 PM
    Lien is haunting me!
    An old lien came up 2 years ago when I bought a house right before I divorced my husband. My husband and I agreed that we would split our debt and when I made settlement my lawyer told me to say that it was not my debt. I did a quit claim and my husband sold the house. My lawyer told me that my half of the debt was deducted from my share and that my husband was to pay it off. Now I am getting ready to finance my house now and the lien has come up again! I don't understand why because the house was sold and shouldn't it have come up then? It is not my fault that the lien was not collected when the house was sold. I can't reach my lawyer until next week and my husband claims that he doesn't remember anything about this. And we are supposed to go to settlement to refinance on Friday. The finance company wants me to call the lawyer who has the lien but I don't know what to tell them. Is a lien against a person or a property? Thanks for any advice. Sorry if this is rather garbled.
    educatedhorse_2005 Posts: 500, Reputation: 78

Jun 15, 2006, 06:52 PM
    It is against both the house and owner.
    They should not have been able to sale the house with the lien on it.
    Plus remember stuff like that stays on your credit for up to ten years.
    Cvillecpm Posts: 553, Reputation: 28

Aug 8, 2006, 09:25 AM
    Ask that the amount of the lien be HELD at closing - not paid to the lienhold - just held in escrow until you provide proof of the original payment.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 8, 2006, 09:31 AM
    I guess how did your husband "Sell" the house is a good question, was it an unknown buyer who would have done title searches or did he do some private deal with them ?

Next as mentioned the lien is your debt and used the house to secure the debt, next a divorce decree does not do away with your responiblity to pay the debt or the quick claim deed does not do away with your responsibility,
    The divorce agreement only allows you to go back after your ex for anything he does not do according to that agreement.

So you and your lawyer need to investigate the house sell and the debt.

Of course if it is merely coming up and showing that there was a late payment record on that lien, that will show up even if the lien has been paid, if you had or after you turned it over to your ex, he did not pay on time.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Disturbing Movie Haunting Me [ 9 Answers ]

I watched a documentary this weekend that I can't get loose from like a bad nightmare... called The Grizzly Man. It's the story of Tim Treadwell who was killed by a bear in Alaska in 2003. It was listed on my online dvd rental site and without looking too closely at the description, I sent for it....

$5.00 unpaid bill haunting me [ 3 Answers ]

I owed $5.00 on doctor's bill that was delinquent for a few years. I did not have enough cash to pay it at the time and due to negligence on my part, let it go. Called their office to make an appt a year later, and they told me I could not see the doctor due to unpaid bill. Asked to pay it and...

Lien [ 8 Answers ]

I checked my account online tonight and all my money is gone. I called my bank's 1800 number and they said there is a lien on the account for 2000 dollars. I only had about 700 approx total. My account shows overdrawn -1768!! How can they do that? I never received ANY notice of this. I did...

Tax lien certificates [ 1 Answers ]

Are tax lien certificates purchased for the purpose of 1. gaining a good return on investment or 2. securing property with little money down as good as it's kicked up to be? What are the biggest drawdowns to tax lien certificates? Thank you

Who is haunting my house? [ 2 Answers ]

We have been living here for 2 years. The energy is mostly in the back bedroom. It is not a negative energy, though sometimes a bit cranky, like the rest of us. I believe it to be a young female. I feel her mostly in the evening. It doesn't really bother me, I'm just curious who and why. My...

View more questions Search