Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dudly10 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 28, 2008, 04:02 PM
    10 year old credit card debt
    My daughter is being threatened by a third party who bought a credit card debt that is over 10 years old. Her divorce decree says her ex husband is responsible for this debt. There has been no activity for ten years and the credit card company has not contacted my daughter. What recourses does she have. They refuse to go after her ex.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 28, 2008, 05:08 PM
    She sends them a letter stating they should not contact anymore except by mail. State that the debt is the sole responsibility of the ex according to the divorce decree.

Then ignore any further letters. While they have a right to dun her, it can only be by mail.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 28, 2008, 05:11 PM
    Approved and moved from forum helps.

Please take a look at the various areas to post and pick one that is closest to the subject.

*** OK, first if it is a joint debt, they can still come after her regardless of what the divorce court says, if she would have to pay, the divorce court ruling only allows her to go back after him.

Since the debt appears to be outside of the SOL, ( unless her ex paid on it some or did something to make the debt valid) But if it is outside of the SOL time frame, which it appears to be. Then they can not sue her for a judgement, but they are allowed to call and send bills to her. She can write them and demand they stop any phone calling on this debt.

But they can continue to write and try to collect the debt forever.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is credit card debt open account debt or a written agreement debt? [ 16 Answers ]

I am currently fighting a credit card debt action filed against me by Unifund. The issue is whether credit card debt is open account debt subject to 3 year SOL in the State of Washington or a written agreement debt subject to 6 years. I asked the same question on another forum and received an...

Credit card debt of 86 year old pensioner [ 1 Answers ]

A relative of my 86 year old aunt ran her credit card up to $11,000.00 unbeknownst to her. This relative and her husband have now separated, are losing their house and the credit card company is tormenting my aunt who is now in a chronic care ward awaiting transfer to a nursing home. She has no...

4 year old credit card debt and never served [ 1 Answers ]

Five years ago, I moved from California to Europe. Divorce and other circumstances made me unable make any payments on my credit cards for a bit over 4 years now. That's past the 4-year Statute of Limitations in California. I left a friends address for receiving mail, and he told me I've been...

Lawyer after me for 12 year old Credit Card Debt [ 8 Answers ]

The old story of when I was younger and foolish with my credit card story applies here! I ran a $1000 debt up with a large retail company(eatons) about 12years ago.The company has since then went bankrupt here in Canada in the late 90's. About 7 years ago I cleaned up my bad credit by...

View more questions Search