Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    oky1dokey Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 28, 2008, 12:38 PM
    What can I submit to Court at a pretrial hearing to prove I'm Judgement proof
    Hi from Ohio- I am on Social Security Disability and currently I am being sued in Court by collection attorneys for defaulted credit card debt (cards in my name only.) Basically I did default on some debts after maritial problems and illness. Defaults occurred in 2003. Besides S.S. I get a private disability check as well. I own no valuable property.

#1 Under Fed.law Social Security act Title 15,ch 41, subchapter 11 20 CFR 404.970 sec 207 SSR79-4 Social Security disability checks can not be garnished.
    Question: What do I need to take to court besides my disability statements to prove this ? I am concerned that the Judge will not know or acknowlege this Fed law. Do I need to bring an actual Federal Law book to show the Judge? Will a copy of the law off the internet suffice?

#2 Should I even bring this up in pretrial hearing?

P.S I sent a letter of dispute to Attorneys and requests for validation. Attorneys [B]did not give validation to me.[B]but [B]did file suit in court! [B] Also other violations of FDCPA have been made by them like lying in the suit using Original Creditors name as the Plaintiff when I know O.C. charged this off years ago and it has been purchased by other Collection Agencies before.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 28, 2008, 12:43 PM
    In judgements over debt, you may be required to fill in a statement of assets. But you don't have to prove you are judgement proof. Being judgement proof will NOT stop the judge from awarding judgement to the plaintiff. It will just inhibit them from collecting on the judgement. If you have having your SSI deposited to a bank account you should file a notice with the bank that the only deposits going into the account are exempt from garnishment.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mediation Hearing and being judgement proof [ 3 Answers ]

Hi. I am new to this site and am panicked about a mediation hearing that I have to attend tomorrow. I moved to Florida in 2004 and shortly after, my financial situation became so bad that I could not pay my mortgage and my credit card debt. I as barely able to pay for immeiate living expenses. My...

How can one prove a restraining order is unjustified in court [ 3 Answers ]

My son is trying to pick up his daughter. His ex was arrested on possession of Meth, making it and having their 5 year old daughter in a Meth house for two days (child endangerment). The child was given to the ex parents temporarily. When my son arrived in the town where they reside he discovered...

Small claims court over last paycheck - how to prove a negative? [ 7 Answers ]

My employer has refused to pay me my final paycheck (for period of Nov 3 - Nov 17, 2006.) I filed a case through the Employment Security Commission (ESC) and it was decided in my favor, but the ESC decided 'not to pursue it' and advised me to pursue it through small claims court. I filed a small...

Proof in Court [ 3 Answers ]

If you go to court because a law firm is suing on behalf of a collector, and it is for medical bills, do they still have to show where you originally signed for the medical services. Also if they show you were charged for a x-ray can you ask for proof, other then the bill from the hospital. Since...

View more questions Search