Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    diamondb Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Jan 29, 2008, 11:37 AM
    My husband has a judgement against him from a voluntary repossession. We were never served the papers to appear in court and we only found out about the judgement when running his credit trying to buy another house. The judgement is from 01/2002. What can we do to get this off his credit?
    George_1950 Posts: 3,099, Reputation: 236
    Ultra Member

Jan 29, 2008, 11:51 AM
    If he was never served, the judgement may be vacated by proper motion or complaint with the court the judgement issued from. He owes the money, so I would suggest contacting the creditor and discuss 'settlement' options: either a payment plan or discounted cash payoff.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 29, 2008, 11:51 AM
    First its not a good idea to piggyback your question on someone else's. This can lead to confusion. You should start a new thread. So I've moved your question to its own thread.

You can go to the court that issued the judgement and file a motion to vacate on the grounds of improper service. However, they will then be able to refile the suit. If your husband turned in a car, then its likely he may still owe a balance on that car. A voluntary repo does not remove the debt. The dealer just sells the car at auction and whatever is not covered by the sale is still owed.

So you may also want to contact the creditor and offer a settlement.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 31, 2008, 07:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by diamondb
    my husband has a judgement against him from a voluntary repossession. we were never served the papers to appear in court and we only found out about the judgement when running his credit trying to buy another house. the judgement is from 01/2002. what can we do to get this off of his credit?

Others have addressed the other parts of this - vacating the judgment - but paying it off (or settling it) will not get it off his credit - it will carry as a slow pay or no pay or whatever for up to 10 years.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I have a judgement against me [ 2 Answers ]

Now the creditor is making me go 4 deposition.my question is.. everything I own is in mine and my husbands name,even though my husbands name on it 2,can they still put lien on it... the credit card was only in my name.please help,thank you

What to do with a judgement [ 2 Answers ]

I received a judgement today from local police dept. stating to pay them or risk garnishment of wages. After looking the judgement I noticed my employers address is wrong. Would this be a reason to vacate the judgement?

Judgement against me [ 2 Answers ]

I had a car accident in 2000 which resulted in a judgement against me. Three years after the accident my drivers license was suspended and will be suspended until 2010. There is no reference to this judgement on my credit report. What is the statue of limitations for the State of Mississippi in...

Judgement HELP [ 1 Answers ]

I have a judgement on me from a credit card company for the a mount of $1400.00 I'm down to $800.00 now done paid $500.00, I am be hind by $150.00 and it's a 100.00 a month payment plan, I got a letter saying if I don't get cought up with the $150.00 that I could be faceing more legal fees and that...

Judgement [ 2 Answers ]

Is there any alternative to a judgement? Once a creditor gets a judegment are they entitled to take income tax returns, sales from your home prior to the mortgagee and realtor being paid, garnish wages? How do you have a judgement removed and stop the creditor from renewing every so often?

View more questions Search