Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nasdpaul Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 14, 2007, 02:47 PM
    Owe $11,000 after car is sold and collector won't take payment that I can afford.
    After my divorce I couldn't afford the 600 dollar a month car payment so I turned the car into Toyota. Toyota then sold the car at an auction. The car was sold for $12,000. When I turn the car in I owed $22,000. Now Toyota has put a collection agency on me for the remaining balance of $11,000. I offered them a payment of $100 a month but they would except anything under $300 dollar a month. What can I do?
    RichardBondMan Posts: 832, Reputation: 66

Jun 14, 2007, 06:25 PM
    First, I would get proof that the vehicle was sold at auction for what they said it was, then, if correct, offer the collection agency again $100. A month for xx number of months, if they accept your offer, get the deal in writing, payoff the balance, obtain a "paid in full" statement from the collection agency, keep those docs the rest of your life. Keep in mind that if the unpaid balance was say #11,000. As you stated, then the collection agency probably bought the debt from the lender that wrote if off as a bad debt for pennies on the dollar. Everything they collect over what they paid for the debt is pure profit for them minus, of course, their expenses, etc to collect and maintain the debt. But you got to get the deal in writing. It's a must!!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 14, 2007, 06:32 PM
    Sorry, but you are probably stuck. You should have never just turned in the car. You don't say how long ago this happened, so its not clear whether Toyota sold the debt or just turned it over to a collector. Either way is mostly immaterial to you. The collector has the right to collect and can sue you and obtain a judgement against you for the debt.

So you have to try and negotiate a settlement that you both can live with.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can a debt collector take my car [ 6 Answers ]

So, I totally lost my case that worked so hard on. The lawyer won summary judgment. I did my opposition but of course the judge said it wasn't sufficient to offset the plaintiff's proofs. So now I have to pay (I guess I am OK with that) but these people (Pressler and Pressler). So I get a list of...

Can a debt collector DOUBLE the amount I owe? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I just had my Bank Account frozen by Rubin & Rothman on Friday. I was told by my bank to contact the Debt Collector and take it from there. I have been trying to understand why, if I have a judgement against me for $5500, how can my bank account be frozen for almost $11000? I am still waiting...

House sold, mortgage released, how can I still owe $ [ 3 Answers ]

I sold my house in January 2003 in a HUD and lender approved short sale. HUD is saying that I took out a loan with them in December 2001 for over $4000, and now I owe them the money plus interest and late fees. Here's some background about the "loan". When I fell behind in my mortgage, because I...

Creditor lost $1,000 payment [ 7 Answers ]

Hi: Im a little irritated today. As if these hospitals don't hound me enough as it is for a payment, I come to find out that a $1,000 payment that I sent in back in October seemed to have gotten "lost". We sent a money order, we called the money order place and they said that it was cashed. ...

Nasty Collector Refuses Payment [ 3 Answers ]

We have been dealing with this awful woman for months now, with threats of garnishment, imprisonment, and generally nasty insults. After a call this morning, we decided to just use our income tax check to pay off the debt completely. However, when we told her that would be sending her a post dated...

View more questions Search