Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lostindebt2222 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 4, 2008, 11:20 AM
    Wage Garnishment
    Hello I am a resident on the state of New Jersey and I am having a problem with someone trying to collect a debt threw wage garnishment. My question is can they do this being that I work in the state on Pennsylvania were they are not allowed to garnish wages.
    progunr Posts: 1,971, Reputation: 288
    Ultra Member

Jun 6, 2008, 02:16 PM
    The law regarding garnishment is effective where you reside, not where you work.

Here are the details for New Jersey:

WAGE GARNISHMENT EXEMPTION: Garnishment may not exceed 10% of gross salary. Monies may not be withheld if disposable weekly earnings are less than $154.50 per week or $309.00.00 every 2 weeks

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wage garnishment or bank account garnishment? [ 3 Answers ]

Hello. Where do I start? I was looking up my name in my local county court records because I'm paying off a debt of 800 plus interest that I do NOT owe. I saw that a judgement was entered for 10x that amount for a voluntary repo on a lease vehicle back in August of 2002. Luckily, I was in the...

Wage garnishment [ 3 Answers ]

How can I stop a garnishment on my wages if I have been paying the agreed amount every month and they still plan to garnish my wages

Wage Garnishment in GA. [ 2 Answers ]

Is there any way to have wage garnisments stopped after it has been started?

Wage garnishment [ 1 Answers ]

I work as an independent contractor. Can my wages be garnished?

Wage garnishment [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I am new here and wondered if anyone knows if this is legal. I have had my wages garnished for the last few years. I was paying on a debt until health problems caused me to loose my full time job and am now receiving social security disability payments. I have worked a part time job for...

View more questions Search