Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SAXTON_II Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 19, 2008, 02:43 PM
    Wage Garnishment In TX
    I have a order for child support that takes 40% of my disposable income. My employer just received two student loan garnishment orders that represent another 40% deduction in my disposable income. When I asked our payroll dept that informed about the deductions, they informed me that they are "only obligated" to pay me 30 times the minimum wage and that everything else is fair game. My amateur research on the net seems to suggest that with an order of support already taking more than the 25% threshold, that the order for the student loans should not have been executed. They went on to say that every student loan order can take 15%. Is this true. Need Adicec... Please help!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 19, 2008, 04:00 PM
    From my amateur research I read where Texas follows federal law on garnishment of child support and student loans.

Under federal law, you cannot garnish more than 25% of the debtor's disposable income. There is an additional protection for low income people. A wage earner must be left with a weekly wage equal to 30 times the current federal minimum wage -- which has been $5.15 since June 2000. (In a few states the minimum wage is higher. See DOL WHD: Minimum Wage Laws in the States for up-to-date information.) This means that the debtor gets to keep the first $154.50 per week; you can garnish 25% of the excess (15 U.S.C. §1673(a)(1)).

If your judgment is for child or spousal support, you can garnish up to 50% of the judgment debtor's take home pay (55% if he is 12 or more weeks in arrears.) If the judgment debtor does not currently support a spouse or child, you can garnish up to 60% of his wages (65% if he is 12 or more weeks in arrears.) There is no automatic protection for low-income workers.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wage garnishment [ 3 Answers ]

How can I stop a garnishment on my wages if I have been paying the agreed amount every month and they still plan to garnish my wages

Wage garnishment [ 1 Answers ]

I work as an independent contractor. Can my wages be garnished?

Wage garnishment [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, My husband (before we were married), him and his ex wife had a credit card in 1995-1996. He didn't pay, but then received a letter in 2004 and he made a payment Sept 2004 and has not paid since. Last month we received a letter from a lawer claiming that we owe, and now his going to get...

Wage garnishment [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I am new here and wondered if anyone knows if this is legal. I have had my wages garnished for the last few years. I was paying on a debt until health problems caused me to loose my full time job and am now receiving social security disability payments. I have worked a part time job for...

Wage garnishment [ 7 Answers ]

I have a question about wage garnishment. First off, I have read about Indiana wage garnishment, and do not quite understand. It says that creditors can garnish 25% of your disposable income. What I do not understand is what exactly is my disposable income. If the debt is only in my name, are...

View more questions Search