Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    funkymalky Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 12, 2007, 08:10 PM
    Lien on a Joint Account
    My husband has an old debt and we have a joint checking account. I went to the bank to question them why my ATM card wasn't working and they told me that a lien was placed on the account. First of all, is this legal? What happens now? Can they take the money from a joint account? I am the primary owner of the account. And if they were allowed to do this, what do we do now? We weren't contacted about this in all the years that I was married to him. And there's a direct deposit of his paycheck going in any day that we couldn't stop. In addition, the bank never notified that a lean was placed on the account and they charged us $150 for "legal fees." Is this normal? Please help!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 12, 2007, 08:38 PM
    Bank does not have to notify you.
    To do this the lender will have to have a judgement, they had to have a judgement against him.

You will need to file in court for a injured spouse so that you can prove it is your money. You need to do anything you can do, to stop that direct deposit, since once it goes into th bank it will be froze, and it may take several weeks to get a court date and get into court over this.

You also need to look into the orgainal judgement and see how he was served and if the service was legal.
    mr.yet Posts: 1,725, Reputation: 176
    Ultra Member

May 13, 2007, 04:49 AM
    Since this is a joint account most state allow for a third party claim to be file in court to get your part of the funds in that account.

Your have to File a Motion in the court that granted the judgment and lien.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 13, 2007, 05:28 AM
    Yes its legal. The only way they can do it is if they obtain a court order. To do that a judgement had to be issued. So I'm rather surprised that you never had any notification of it. You will not get a notification prior to the attachment, but the bank does have to show you a copy of the order on your request.

As long as your husband's name is on the account its fair game for an attachment. The fact that his paycheck is direct deposited shows its commingled funds and not yours alone.

As to the bank's legal fees, they need to show you where your agreement with them provides for that. I don't think its normal to charge such fees for processing a garnishment, but it may be normal for that bank.

So what do you do now? First, if you truly were totally unaware of the judgement against him and than means HE was unaware, then you can file a motion with the court that issued the judgement to vacate on the grounds of improper service. At that same time, you can try to prove what funds in the account were yours and what was his to get back yours.
    funkymalky Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 14, 2007, 08:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    File a motion with the court that issued the judgement to vacate on the grounds of improper service.
    Hey Thanks for the informative response.
    What's would it take for me to file a motion to vacate the judgment? Does anyone know details about this process. My friend told me I should file an "order to show cause", but I don't know how this is done. Thank you all so much
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 15, 2007, 05:52 AM
    Since the judgement was filed in small claims court, you do not have to be a stickler for legalese. You can do a WEB search for motion to vacate judgement to find some suggestions. But it could simply be a letter like this:

I am submitting a motion to vacate the judgement awarded <fill in details about time and place>. I never received any notification of the suit or opportunity to defend against it.

You can also contact the clerk of the court for their suggestions.

A order to show cause is not applicable here. There is no cause to show. A judgement was entered and you have to get it removed so the Motion to vacate is applicable.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Joint bank account? [ 2 Answers ]

I will be moving to florida soon, I plan to open up a bank account. Question is, my father will be moving down also, but for the mean time i was wondering is there any way i can have a joined state-to-state back account with him, or is there some way i can put money in, and he can fully access the...

Joint Account Garnishment [ 11 Answers ]

I realized that with Citibank, the a joint account is subject to Garnishment. Is that the case with all Banks?

Lien on Bank Account [ 1 Answers ]

My brother and I jointly own the house I live in. My brother has moved out and lives out of the county. Due to unpaid real estate taxes ($6,000) the County of Fairfax, Va. Has placed a bank lien on my brothers bank account. I have not received such a notice as of yet. What does this mean for my...

Joint account garnishment in va [ 2 Answers ]

Can a joint account be garnished in VA and granted if only one of the account holders name is on the garnishment.

Garnishment Of A Joint Account [ 1 Answers ]

I have a credit card company trying to garnish my joint checking account. Can they by law go after my Revolcable Trust Account in which I have with my wife if, my wife is the one being garnisheried

View more questions Search