Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Goodguy908 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 23, 2009, 05:08 PM
    Levied Bank Account in NJ
    Hi there,

I have recently had a levy put on my bank account because of an 8 yr old cc debt. The court awarded Pressler and Pressler (NJ) a default judgement because I did not show to court. The thing is I have been lving abroad for the past 2 years and was not aware of the court date. I only found about it after checking my online banking acct which was now in negative balance after the firm took over $1000. Is there anything I can do to get the judgement overturned or get any money back, I was away so I didn't receive any notices.
    Any help would be great. Thanks!
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Sep 24, 2009, 08:06 AM

File a Motion to set the Judgment aside because you were not served. If it is set aside you will undoubtedly be served before you leave the Courtroom.

What is your defense?
    this8384 Posts: 4,564, Reputation: 485
    Ultra Member

Sep 24, 2009, 09:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Goodguy908 View Post
    Hi there,

I have recently had a levy put on my bank account because of an 8 yr old cc debt. The court awarded Pressler and Pressler (NJ) a default judgement because I did not show to court. The thing is I have been lving abroad for the past 2 years and was not aware of the court date. I only found about it after checking my online banking acct which was now in negative balance after the firm took over $1000. Is there anything I can do to get the judgement overturned or get any money back, I was away so I didnt receive any notices.
    Any help would be great. Thanks!
    SOL for New Jersey is 6 years:
    New Jersey Statutes of Limitations

When was the court date? What is the date of service? They may not have even legally been able to sue you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Account levied because father's name on it. [ 5 Answers ]

I am a 21 year old college student. I just went to check my balance on my checking account and all my money was gone. It says TAX LEVY and then a negative amount for all my money. My father has had several problems with the IRS, but I never expected them to seize my account. My account reads My...

Can my bank account be garnished? Or Levied? [ 5 Answers ]

I am being sued by a credit card company. I am currently unemployed. I receive no money or benefits. I have a bank account with my husband. Once I am sued, can they take money out of my bank account even if my husbands name is not on this credit card, but we do share a bank account.

Levied bank account [ 2 Answers ]

I am in the process of filing bankruptcy, but a creditor was granted a civil judgement against me and has gone through the steps of having a county sheriff walk into my bank and seize my bank account (in california). But there was $400 in the account, but only $120 was taken (along with a $100...

Can I prevent my chcking account from being levied? [ 1 Answers ]

I had some old credit card debts. The credit card company sued me and has a judgement. Now that I am working again, my employer offers direct deposit but I am afraid to deposit any money into my account for fear it will be frozen or levied. I have a new bank account, will the credit card company...

Levied bank account [ 2 Answers ]

I hope I'm asking this in the right area, but I live in northern NJ and what has happened over the past couple of days is that, although I'm in a payment plan w/ a law firm, they levied my bank account w/out notifying me. Through many difficult phone calls, they told me that my last check had...

View more questions Search