Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kristastgermain Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 19, 2009, 06:59 PM
    Trial balance/debit&credits don't balance
    Hi! I have an assignment due tomorrow and am really fustrated I've been working on it since last month and can not figure out where I went wrong I am 52,000 and some odd hundred dollars off on my debits and credits! :eek: if anyone wants to help email me at [email protected]
    pready Posts: 3,197, Reputation: 207
    Ultra Member

Apr 20, 2009, 12:40 PM

First I would check my transactions to make sure they were posted in the right accounts has a debit or credit. Then check your math.

Rember a debit to an Expense, Asset, and Dividend accounts increase the balance in these accounts, while a credit increases Revenues, Unearned Revenues, Liabilities, and Equity accounts.
    A Credit to an Expense, Asset, and Dividend Accounts decrease the balance in these accounts. Debits decrease Revenues, Unearned Revenues, Liabilities, and Equity Accounts.

Use Excel if possible, or create T-accounts for your accounts and post your transactions to your T-accounts. Then after your all your transactions, get your ending balances of your T-accounts, then use Excel to create your Trial Balance.

For example in the Cash account add your Debits to get the sum of your Debits and add your Credits to get the sum of your Credits, then subtract your Credit sum from your Debit ssum to get your ending Cash Balance. Do this for all of your T-accounts. Some Accounts you will subtract your Debits from your Credits.

You need to know what accounts have a normal Debit Balance and which ones have a normal Credit balance.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Trial Balance & Post Close Trial Balance [ 5 Answers ]

I’m struggling with both trial balance and post close trial balance. From my understanding the post trial balance should include all items that would show on the balance sheet right? It would show total assets and total liabilities right? The assets and expenses would be under debit and...

Trial Balance in balance - but Fianancial Statements is not matching [ 2 Answers ]

Hi... I have a question My Trial Balance is "in balance" all matched up nice nice... But - when transferring the information on to the Fiancial Statements its not matching - This is a question for home work the CRUNCHER is... no back up provided in the question no journals no ledger... ...

Trial balance sheet with pay on credits or cheques [ 2 Answers ]

How can I create a trial balance sheet with pay on credit and cheques?

View more questions Search