Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    delite Posts: 202, Reputation: 3

Aug 31, 2006, 10:44 AM
    Taxation on bank interest
    My brother is a nonresident alien. Has a bank account in u.s bearing interest. Interest income which is exempt in part to IRS regs and treaty. He recently became ill and requested me, a u.s. citizen, to become joint owner of his account. All interest income is to be used by him. My question is are there tax consequences to me regarding joint ownership of the account. If so, is there an alternative to holding the principal.
    JuLee Posts: 47, Reputation: 1

Aug 31, 2006, 11:02 AM
    I'm not sure what the correct answer is but I work in a credit union and usually, all interests are reported under the primary acct holder, nothing under the joint. If a minor has an account, whoever is claiming the minor would report it under their tax. Hope your brother gets better. :)
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Aug 31, 2006, 07:36 PM
    JuLee is correct. If your borther's ITIN is on the account, then your brother is responsible for the taxes, which, in his case, is ZERO!
    delite Posts: 202, Reputation: 3

Sep 6, 2006, 08:48 AM
    I believe the correct answer to my inquiry, re; income resident and non resident alien. If one of the co-owners of an account is a foreign non resident alien and the other a U.S. citizen, the 1099 and income will be reported by the U.S. ciitzen. Form w-8 (IRS) to be filled out by the non resident clearly states this. Further banking officers confirm this. If 2 U.S. ciitzens jointly own an account, the first name on the account receives the 1099; if nonresidents aliens, no 1099 and not taxable.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Sep 6, 2006, 03:38 PM
    Delite is correct; the research is solid (something I failed to do).
    dlc Posts: 10, Reputation: 3

Sep 18, 2006, 05:08 PM
    Actually, the IRS would look more to who "owns" the account. If you are joint owners, you are jointly responsible whether the 1099's reflect that or not. But, if you are merely a name on the account for convenience and he retains ownership, then there is no tax consequence to you. Best to put that in writing before you add your name, just in case you ever need it.
    Adding your name as an owner could also have gift tax implications.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Foreign Tax on you.S. Bank Interest [ 1 Answers ]

To Atlanta Tax Expert Thank You for your response

Double taxation [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am a US citizen of Indian origin. I am working in the US and hold non-qualified stock options (of my company which is co-headquared out of the US and India). If I now go and settle (long term) in India, and exercise my options, will I be liable to paying any taxes in the US? (I...

Help Needed on US-India Taxation [ 2 Answers ]

I am new to US and on a L1-A visa and have to complete my tax formalities to start getting paid in USA after my transfer to USA This is my situation... I received a gross salary of approx 4,00,000 INR... 8000 USD (equivalent of Indian Rupees converted to USD) from January 2006 to June 2006...

Bank interest [ 3 Answers ]

The interest my bank is paying is pitiful. I have heard that there are online banks which give a much higher percentage than what I am receiving locally. How does one find a reliable bank like that and how would I get started? We invested in a Federal Agency step up note<?> which is paying 3+%...

Taxation [ 1 Answers ]

Does higher taxation mean better standard of living? Justification is required.

View more questions Search