Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mpagan7777 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 20, 2008, 10:43 AM
    Ex wife took money out of a joint account without her name on it
    I live in Texas and I have a joint account with my name and my mothers name (who lives in New York). I recently got divorced a week ago and found out that money was missing out of that savings account. I reviewed all of my statement going back 3years and a substantial amount has been withdrawn every month up to the divorce. My mother’s first name is the same as my ex-wife but the last names are different. In the account I did not have my mother’s birthday or social. Can I take her to court for theft?
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

May 20, 2008, 10:58 AM
    You certainly should ask the bank to produce copies of the withdrawal forms and if the signature does not match your mother's signature you can consider whether to pursue criminal charges (Forgery, embezzlement) against your wife and a civil claim against the bank for not taking the proper care of the funds.

However if your Mom's signature is not on file and you haven't provided a way for the bank to correctly identify the second person on the account, then the bank is not at fault.

However, if your wife knew that that money was not her's than its forgery and signature. See if the County Attorney will prosecute.
    mpagan7777 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 20, 2008, 11:10 AM
    I need to get as much information and advise as I can because she took 40k. The money was saved for funeral cost and any dept that she might leave behind. My mother is 80yrs. Old.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

May 21, 2008, 06:18 AM
    MP,

Federal Authorities take a dim view of people absconding from banks with large sums of money.

It's considered bank robbery, which is a Federal issue.

You need to talk to the Duty Agent in the FBI for your area. Dump everything you have on their desk and see if they are wiling to bring her fanny in for questioning. Do it now, any delay on your part makes the trail colder!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 21, 2008, 06:22 AM
    I don't think you need anything more than what Don has told you. Your ex stole this money, pur and simple. Whether the bank is liable for allowing the money to be withdrawn is a issue that we don't have enough info to advise on. But if your mother's name was on the account and not your ex, then she stole this money and you can press criminal and civil charges against her.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can creditor take money from joint account [ 1 Answers ]

We may be going to court with a creditor, and if a judgement is issued against us, I wanted to know if they can request our bank account be freezed if it is a joint account but only I am named in the suit (not my husband). Both of our checks are direct deposited there (which I will be stopping if...

Seized money in joint savings account [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 7 year old credit card debt - purchased by Elite Recovery - I sent them a letter saying they were trying to collect on a time-barred debt. They obviously got a judgement because today, they emptied my joint savings account (not enough money in the joint checking account). According to the...

Joint checking account money [ 1 Answers ]

My grandmother died on feb.5th 2008. She already transferred her property to my father before she died. Her checking account was a joint one with a friend of the family and her caregiver. The friend|caregiver never put any money in the account or used the account. My question is the money in the...

Bank Account Levy, joint account [ 1 Answers ]

Today, a levy was placed on the joint account of myself and my wife, for a debt she had from a credit card company. Once I found out, I called her and had her call the lawyer, who then told her to dispute it, she would have to send a certified letter to the court, as well as the plaintiff, as to...

Joint return for F-1 wife? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I've been on a H1-B status since 2003. I married in 2006 and my wife was on an F-1 visa in 2006. Can we file a joint return? Does she need to send form 8843? Her income in 2003 was less than the standard exemption. Thanks!

View more questions Search