Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    loving granddaughter Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 24, 2008, 01:01 PM
    Joint checking account money
    My grandmother died on feb.5th 2008. She already transferred her property to my father before she died. Her checking account was a joint one with a friend of the family and her caregiver. The friend|caregiver never put any money in the account or used the account. My question is the money in the account hers to use as she wishes like to pay my grandmothers bills left behind? Is this checking account part of the probate court ?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Feb 24, 2008, 01:12 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by loving granddaughter
    My grandmother died on feb.5th 2008. She already transferred her property to my father before she died. her checking account was a joint one with a friend of the family and her caregiver. the friend|caregiver never put any money in the account or used the account. my question is the money in the account hers to use as she wishes like to pay my grandmothers bills left behind? is this checking account part of the probate court ?

If the checking account was held in joint names it doesn't matter whose money actually was in the account, who wrote checks - it passes to the survivor without having to go through Probate.

And, yes, the survivor can use the money any way she wants - and she doesn't have to pay your Grandmother's bills with it. That is her choice. Those bills will be listed on the Probate Petition and if there are sufficient assets will come out of the estate.

There may not be any money to pay the bills if, in fact, everything was transferred to your father in a legal fashion, within a legal time frame. There are exceptions, of course, if other property was in joint names, if there were guarantors on bills.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Seized money in joint savings account [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 7 year old credit card debt - purchased by Elite Recovery - I sent them a letter saying they were trying to collect on a time-barred debt. They obviously got a judgement because today, they emptied my joint savings account (not enough money in the joint checking account). According to the...

Freezing joint personal checking accounts [ 1 Answers ]

Can a creditor freeze a joint personal account if only one person has a judgement against them?

Garnishment of joint checking account for credit card debt [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Mississippi. My husband had a judgement against him by Discover Card. In January, 2007, they took $547.05 from out joint account. (The money is still in there today, just showing unavailable.) I opened my own account in just my name with payment on demand to my husband. They won't let...

Can a creditor just take money from your checking account? [ 2 Answers ]

We just learned an old debt (over 7 years old) just took all our money from our checking account! What can we do? Can they do this? Nobody notified us...

Money taken from my checking account without notification [ 1 Answers ]

I had a credit card a few years ago that went into collections. I attempted a few times to make payment arrangements with this company but the company always refused my offer. After at least a year going by I finally received papers stating that the credit card company turned the account over to an...

View more questions Search