Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    beth1972 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 12, 2008, 10:53 AM
    Depositing large sum of money raises questions?
    I received $13,000 from my ex-husband. It's not child support, it's "guilt" money because he has had nothing to do with his daughter for over 30 years.

Can I deposit this without the government asking a lot of questions? And from what I understand, it's a gift and I don't need to report unless it was from overseas or gambling money.

Please help!
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Jan 12, 2008, 11:02 AM
    If it wasn't court-ordered then yes, it is a gift and you may be subject to gift tax. When you deposit it, because of the amount, your bank will report it to the IRS.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Jan 12, 2008, 11:06 AM
    I thought that too, that any amount over $10,000.00 is reportable. But I was not quite sure if that had changed.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 12, 2008, 04:27 PM
    Yes, so you will want to keep it under that 9999 figure and broken up into severarl smaller payments.

And if he is still feeling guility, we need a new tires for car truck we use in our elderly ministry
    beth1972 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 12, 2008, 04:35 PM
    Well, I hope I'm not in trouble. We deposited it. I had gone to the IRS site, and found this: for Line 21

NONTAXABLE AMOUNTS:

Child Support
    Life Insurance proceeds
    Gifts and bequests are non-taxable. However, if you received a gift or bequest from a foreign person of more than $13,258, you may have to report that info... etc. etc.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Jan 13, 2008, 07:01 AM
    Well I read where the statutory monetary exclulsion for 2007 is $12,000.00 (due to inflation). Hopefully Atlanta Tax Expert will see this question and give his opinion.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 13, 2008, 07:08 AM
    Hello beth:

The assumption has been made so far, that the $13K you received is in CASH. If that's so, then the advice you received is valid. However, if it was a check, then you deposit it and go on with your life. There is no reporting requirement for checks.

I don't know if you'll have to pay taxes on it, but that's another question.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Holding a Payroll check after depositing it [ 1 Answers ]

Is it against the law for a bank to hold a persons payroll check for verification after depositing it? I am having trouble with my bank only making $100 available when I deposit my payroll check. Which this makes it possible for them to say that my bank account go negative and for them to...

Getting pay raises and then they take it away [ 5 Answers ]

In New York State can your employer give you a raise and promotion,then demote you and take your raise away?

Money Questions [ 1 Answers ]

I am working off getting robbed by my x girlfriend. At this time I'm trying to plan a wedding, get a new place, and getting ready to have a child. I have a full time job but it seems its not enough. What is the most quick way to make money?

Depositing Lump sums of money [ 2 Answers ]

In The event of a wind fall of money, say 10 or 11 million or more, what is the best way to deposite an amount like that? Knowing that regular banks only insure for the 100,000, and I believe another 100,000 if married, what is a course of action.

Banking large sums of money [ 3 Answers ]

If I have come into a large amount of money, more than $300,000, and want to place it into one account, what bank accepts this amount as a balance, or any amount over $100,000? Thanks

View more questions Search