Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rachael772 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 28, 2008, 07:43 AM
    Indentifying signature on oil painting
    Hi everyone, could anyone help me please identify the artist of this oil painting please. It's a oil painting on canvas, 24" x 40" and its signed in the bottom left corner with the name Santos. I was given this painting about 5yrs ago, it had been on the wall of a local pub for yrs but when they refurbished, the painting was going to be thrown away. A friend of mine rescued it from the skip and give it to me to sell on a car boot sale. I thought it was to nice to sell so have had it ever since, I have tried to find the artist lots of times but had no luck, any help would be fantastic.
    Attached Images

twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

May 28, 2008, 05:11 PM
    Very nice picture but it's probably one of those "starving artist" $19 couch size paintings. I have a whole bedroom full of wonderful oil paintings that were done by amateurs that I bought at junk stores. Enjoy your treasure. It is a lovely picture probably painted in Italy.
    loricar Posts: 12, Reputation: 1

May 28, 2008, 05:18 PM
    You might try artprice.com, as they have an extensive database of listed artists. This will not work for artists that are not listed in a reference work (Davenports/Benezit) and is not free, but is excellent for serious paintings and artwork.
    Good luck,
    loricar
    dixiemcc Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 11, 2010, 02:47 PM

I bought an oil painting in 1970 at a bankruptcy auction for $80. It is a winter landscape, mostly grey, black & white and is signed in the lower r corner, "WAUTERS". I don't think it's Emil or Camille Wauters, I don't see any similarities in their work. Thank you.
    Jim30 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 30, 2010, 07:33 AM

I have an oil painting of a vase of flowers signed"Montague" in script in lower right hand corner. Can anyone tell me about the artist
    SHANNONCLIVELY Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 7, 2011, 02:57 PM
    I am wondering if anyone knows or has heard of an oil painter with the signature on the bottom left of his paintings "SIMON" ? I was spring cleaniing and found it in an old apartment building i had rented. The painting is colorful and absolutley beautiful. The picture is of fruit, grapes, with a red apple, a green apple inside a blue antique looking bowl and on the left side of that looks to be an antique vase, the same color blue as the bowl. There are leaves behind the bowl of fruit kind of crawling up the back of the painting. The signature is original, it is not a reprint, a white signature, and is an old fram. The frame made in mexico, whether the picture came originally in this frame, i am not sure.
    Ritajean Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 4, 2012, 09:23 AM
    I have a painting with "JPL 1969" in bottom right hand corner. It is a beautiful blond girl with long flowing blue dress. Could you tell me about it,and how can I tell if it's worth anything,or if it is authentic? Thanks

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Identify Avante Studios and/or Artist Signature - Oil Painting [ 8 Answers ]

This oil painting endorsed on the back as Avante Studios, Inc. is a mystery to me. From what I know, my parents acquired it in the 60s, and as you see, the subject matter definitely embodies the owl craze of the era. Can anyone help identify the studio, artist, or value? Any information is...

Unidentified signature on painting [ 12 Answers ]

Hi, I have an oil painting with a signature I can't read. I don't know how to add a picture. It would be great if someone knew who this artist is. Any help with a source to search signatures ( free ) or help with how to atach a photo would be appreciated, Thanks, Diane

It is his signature [ 2 Answers ]

Hi My girlfriends grandad wrote a cheque for her and an uncle at the beginning of December 2007,for a large sum of money she did not see the cheques been wrote but it was confirmed by phone by him that he had did this she put it in the bank and they cashed it, then towards the end of December he...

Signature to me [ 3 Answers ]

Can anyone suggest a beautiful signature for my name “ZUBAIR AHMED KHUSHHALI”. Or give web-link to solve this problem??

Do I need to have a signature? [ 2 Answers ]

I just had a question about adoption. Would the father have to sign the papers in order for it to go through? Even though you may not know where he is and he has shown no responsibility towards the child? Or could there be another way?

View more questions Search