Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nashuaruns1 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

May 19, 2008, 03:03 PM
    Who is this artist and is the painting worth anything?
    Hi-I just picked up an oil on canvas from the salvation army thrift store. It is signed but I cannot make out the signature. It is in what I would call a gallery frame and there is a sticker on the frame that reads"Mayfair Gallery and Art Center, 274 Saratoga Rd. Scotia,NY Phone Sch'Dy EX 9-3306". I checked and the place is no longer in business and to make things weirder the thrift store is where this gallery used to be(same address). It is a pretty wild impressionist work I think. I will attach pics. Thanks in advance for any help.

Scott
    Attached Images

Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

May 22, 2008, 12:51 AM
    Thanks for providing some information and the images! I haven't found anything yet, but will still keep searching.

A couple of days ago, I did try formatting the close-up that you have provided of the signature a number of ways in order to maybe make the letters easier to make out. Wasn't really all that successful.

Is there not a title anywhere on the painting or the frame?

My initial impression of the painting is that it is of a covered bridge in a wooded setting. I could be totally incorrect though. It's just my initial impression...

May 22, 2008, 10:48 AM
    Thanks for responding. I think you are right about the subject matter in the painting. Is it possible(longshot) that the signature reads "A or N or M Held"? I have been trying to figure out what type of genre it is and I think it would fall into the "Color Field movement" from the late 50's and 60's. Any further help would be appreciated. There is no title.

Scott
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

May 22, 2008, 11:15 AM
    Since you are in NY try taking it into different galleries. I have bought some pieces and the places around here have always helped me to identify the artist and given me a ball park figure of their worth. Btw it is a beautiful piece.

May 22, 2008, 12:23 PM
    Thanks for the info. I will try taking it to galleries and see if they can help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Identify Avante Studios and/or Artist Signature - Oil Painting [ 8 Answers ]

This oil painting endorsed on the back as Avante Studios, Inc. is a mystery to me. From what I know, my parents acquired it in the 60s, and as you see, the subject matter definitely embodies the owl craze of the era. Can anyone help identify the studio, artist, or value? Any information is...

How much is a 1925 penny worth with one cent and a wheat on the back worth [ 3 Answers ]

How much is a one cent with a wheat on back is worth from 1925

How much is a particular oil painting worth? [ 2 Answers ]

I have on old oil painting by M. Katz of a bull w/bull fighter. Does anyone know about how much it would be worth? Where do I go to sell? Contact me @

How much is my oil painting of Fiddler on the Roof by Brauna Ben-Shane worth? [ 1 Answers ]

How much is a Fiddler on the Roof oil painting by Brauna Ben-Shane worth? Thank you

Verify and Artist Painting [ 1 Answers ]

I have a very old painting titled "Edes' Mill Upper Potomac" and its signed W.G. Newton. I believe this painting may have been painted bu William Giles Newton which would date this painting to the late 1800's. How can I verify that this was painted by the artist.

View more questions Search