Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tattee Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 3, 2009, 02:15 AM
    Trial Date Set
    Unfortunate for me, the courts are MAKING ME (in essence, to hang myself) by going to court with or without a lawyer because I can't afford one! What kind of country is this?
    I asked for a 4-6 year adjournment to find a scholarship and go to law school, but that was out of the question 8)

Anyway, my question.. I have already been to the status hearing and the trial date is set. My father has just been administered to the hospital for cancer and the prognosis does not look good. Can I and how would I go about petitioning the court for a trial date extension at this point?
    JimGunther Posts: 436, Reputation: 38

Jul 5, 2009, 03:42 PM

Go to the clerk's office and fill out a form for a continuance. State your reasons in the strongest terms. While you are there, stop off at the public defender's office. Despite what you seem to think, judges do not like to see defendants appear before them without an attorney. You may qualify for a free attorney or one at a reduced rate, depending on how they do things in your state.

I appeared in court in many capacities over the years: police officer, probation officer, bailiff. Just about every day I was there I saw judges giving defendants every opportunity to get an attorney. The only time I saw them "force" a defendant to appear without an attorney was in cases where the judge felt the defendant's actions had demonstrated that they waived their right to have an attorney.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Journal Entries, Adjusting Entries, and Trial and Adjusted Trial Balance [ 5 Answers ]

Can anyone help me with this? I'm confused on how to post these and how to prepare the Adjusted Trial Balance. Window Washing Company opened on July 1, 2010. During July the following transactions were completed. July 1 Issued 14,456 shares of common stock for $14,456 cash. July...

Credit Card debt - trial date 3 July [ 6 Answers ]

My trial is set for tomorrow and the collection attorneys are still calling and leaving messages that they want to file a joint agreement to extend as they need more time to find documentation. I have just received a message from the judges's office saying that the trial set for tomorrow will...

Rights to a speedy trial and can they keep your legally obtained money until the trial? [ 5 Answers ]

15 months ago the APD(Albany Police Department in Oregon) served a search warrant at our home. We had just gotten a settlement from a major motorcycle wreck my other half was in and had cash in our home. We have documents to prove we had just gotten this money 6 days prior to the search warrant....

F-1 to H-1, what's the start date of H-1? Should be approval date or visa issue day? [ 3 Answers ]

As I mention before, I changed from F-1 to H-1 last year. I got my H-1 status in Feb 2004, but I went to my home country to get the H-1 visa stamp in August 2004. So I would like to know for counting my H-1 status, is it the date that USCIS (the Immigration) approved (which is Feb 1st), or the...

View more questions Search