Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    omghelpmeplx Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 5, 2007, 08:16 PM
    Bathtub draining slowly , tried to fix, not draining at all now
    Hello, my first time here.

My upstairs bathtub was draining slowly, a plumber here to snake the cesspool suggested something. First off, it is the big one piece fiberglass shower/tub fixture. I think it's a really common & standard setup, nothing fancy.

I took the sifter plate off the floor drain and cleaned out a little bit of hair. It still drained as slowly as before. He suggested unscrewing the plate just under the tub faucet with the little lever, pull out the drum mechanism, take a wet washcloth to temporarily seal that opening as best I could, and plunge the floor drain. So I did this. Didn't really seem too effective.

However, while stuffing the wet washcloth into the opening, the pipe behind the lever plate pulled away from the wall. It is still connected at the bottom, and I was able to drop the drum mechanism down the pipe, replace the face plate with the lever, and screw it back together, tightly against the shower wall. But now there is almost no water drianage at all. What the heck happened? Maybe there was a clog at that location that has shifted and now become really problematic?

I'm mechanically inclined, and very good with my hands, I just don't have experience with plumbing, I would greatly appreciate any help you can offer.
    omghelpmeplx Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 5, 2007, 08:26 PM
    Well, I fixed my problem. Lol

My hypothesis was correct. When I plunged it the first time.. I didn't do it with enough force. I must have just moved the clog a bit and really stopped it up. I stuffed the pipe behind the lever plate really tight with a wet washcloth, and plunge dthe HECK out of the floor drain.. lo and behold a monstrous clump of hair etc etc came up after pulling on it. (yuck)

Now it drains like a champ!

I hope this helps someone else
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jun 6, 2007, 12:37 PM
    You have just proven what the experts here advise. When plunging a bathtub the overflow MUST be air tight or you will get no suction from the plunger. We're glad you got your clog fixed. If we can ever help please feel free. Cheers, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Washer draining causes gurgle in bathtub & sinks [ 3 Answers ]

I live in a one story house. The past couple times I have done laundry, there's been this gurgling noise coming from the bathroom & kitchen. I looked in the bathtub and water is coming up out of the drain. What could be causing this and how do I go about fixing it? Thanks!

Toilet overflowing and tub draining slowly [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, This is my first question on this site; hope you can help! My toilet has been overflowing for about three days. Kept plunging it and it would be OK for awhile. Took a shower (bath/tub combo) yesterday and today and noticed that the tub is draining very slowly with lots of glurging as it goes...

Washer water draining into bathtub [ 1 Answers ]

Doing laundry tonight I heard the distinct sound of water draining, a sound I don't normally hear. I walked into the bathroom and saw my toilet and bathtub full of the dirty clothes washer water. What could be wrong? The weather is in the 40's so no frozen pipes. There has been construction...

A very draining problem! [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, We just moved into our new double-wide manufactured home which is 5ft off the slab. My husband had to add the supplied piping for all water and sewer lines which was no big deal. The problem is... our tub takes FOREVER to drain! Someone came out and checked the P traps which they said was...

Bathtub not draining [ 3 Answers ]

My house was built around 1953. We have lived in it for only 8 months. The whole time we have lived there the lever to move the drain stopper in the bathtub has not budged. We only ever shower so I didn't worry about it. About a week ago, the tub started draining slower and slower. It now will...

View more questions Search