Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hkanipe Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 23, 2007, 07:32 PM
    Squeaky White Westinghouse Spacemaker Dryer
    Hello,
    I'm really hoping that someone can help me. We have a w/d White Westinghouse combo, model number WLC271HW0 and it has recently began making this awful high pitched squeaking noise. I've been reading similar posts on the site and much of the info has been very helpful but I have no idea how to open up the dryer in the first place to see what exactly needs to be replaced. Once I get the dryer open how do I figure out what is wrong and where do I go to get replacement parts? Is it worth doing yourself (cost wise) or is it better to call a repair person?

Thanks for your help,
    H
    RalphS Posts: 120, Reputation: 12

Apr 23, 2007, 07:50 PM
    Westinghouse dryers are known for the problem you describe. The rear of the drum is held into place by a 1" steel ball riding in a plastic socket. With lots of use the plastic socket wears out and lets the ball run against the metal bracket holding the socket.
    You have to take the dryer apart from the front, remove the belt and lift up hard on the back of the drum to remove it to get at the worn out parts. It's a bad enough job on a free-standing dryer and I personally refuse to do that job on a stack unit.
    If you decide to go ahead with it, look in the yellow pages under "Appliance Parts" .
    While you have it apart be sure to check the belt and front plastic glides attached to the front bulkhead which holds up the front of the drum.
    GOOD LUCK! (You'll need it!)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Squeaky Dryer [ 1 Answers ]

My Heavy Duty Fridigare Dryer has an awful squeak, how do I fix this?

Help! Squeaky Dryer [ 1 Answers ]

Help! My Maytag Heavy Duty Dryer, Model #DE313 has started squealing continuously. A high pitched squeal. Any suggestions?

GE spacemaker washer/dryer blowing circuit breaker [ 3 Answers ]

My unit has started blowing circuit breakers. I assume it started when the exhaust tube disconnected and I was not aware. I have since re-attached the exhaust, but it still continues to blow the breaker. I have checked the plug also, I don't see nothing wrong. Any suggestions?

View more questions Search