Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    myndpeace Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Mar 22, 2007, 01:20 PM
    Whirlpool Cabrio Dryer
    We just had a new Whirlpool Cabrio washer and dryer (electric) installed today. I dried some towels and noticed an unusually loud humming and vibrating sound. I wouldn't expect this from a product with a "very good" noise rating rated by consumer reports. It's much louder than my old 17 year old dryer. I don't think I can live with this. Is this a normal sound? Has anyone had a similar experience with this model?
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Mar 22, 2007, 01:32 PM
    Make sure it's sitting perfectly level, it has adjustable feet, I actually just bought this brand and its extremely quiet, if this doesn't solve it, there could be a manufacturing defect, call back whoever you bought it from and let them know it's louder than your old dryer and they should send someone to service it, could be a loose piece inside.

Apr 1, 2007, 07:40 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Lowtax4eva
    Make sure it's sitting perfectly level, it has adjustable feet, i actually just bought this brand and its extremely quiet, if this doesnt solve it, there could be a manufacturing defect, call back whoever you bought it from and let them know it's louder than your old dryer and they should send someone to service it, could be a loose piece inside.
    Thanks for your response. The level of the dryer was checked during my first service visit and also when it was installed. I already had a second service call and they guy looked at me like I was hearing things. I already have a third service call scheduled.
    timewisher Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 14, 2007, 06:44 AM
    I've had my Cabrio washer & dryer since Feb of this year. The dryer sounded very loud like a buzzer w/ a vibrating tinny sound about 5 minutes into the cycle, once it heats up. A repair guy came out, heard the same sound, took off the door while the drum was turning & found the vibrating spring. He put some lithium grease where the spring was touching to stop that sound & said it was a design flaw, that the engineers know about. He said they might eventually come out with a modification kit to fix this. Before he left, we turned the dryer on, let it heat up to see if we still heard that vibrating tinny sound. Didn't here it, was happy, he left, but the next day when using the dryer, realized that only half the annoying sound was gone. The loud engine sound was still there. Waited a while, called Abt (the store where we bought it from) to say we still had a loud dryer & wanted it replaced. We suspected this one was returned because it was the last one they had & we had to wait 1 1/2 weeks for a different one. This one is just as loud, although the delivery guys say it sounds normal to them (what would they know). Luckily it is located in the basement, I can't imagine if I had a laundry room next to a family room or bedroom. Haven't found any reviews complaining about the loudness other than here so I thought it was just me & I can't remember how quiet my old one was. The few reviews I've seen say "it's so quiet", started thinking it's just me. Don't know what to do next. I don't know if they'll exchange it for a different brand since I've had it for a couple months. I like the size of it & the way it dries. I just don't like hearing the droning sound from the basment. Who needs the alarm on the dryer when I know it stopped because the house is quiet now!

Apr 14, 2007, 02:38 PM
    I am having my Whirlpool Cabrio electric dryer replaced. I was told I had to have 3 service calls before our dealer could request a replacement. The same serviceman was sent for the first two calls and he told me the sound was normal. I didn't believe him and thought he didn't care about the noise since the dryer was operating with no problem. A different third serviceman said he thought it was louder than usual and has had some customers complain about the noise level. He thinks it's a factory defect. He said customers have replaced their dryers and have not heard any more complaints. My dryer sounds like an exhaust fan with also a vibrating tinny sound. Now I'm worried that I will have the same noise after the replacement like you had. My dryer is on the first floor. I can hear it throughout the entire house.
    DI 46 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 14, 2008, 10:44 AM
    I am really upset. My Whirlpool Cabrio Dryer has been making a horrible noise. The repairman has come out 3 times and done things at the recommendation of Whirlpool. I don't think they want to admit to a problem. He has changed the motor, changed a pulley system and now they are guessing that we have 130 coming into the house instead of 120. I think it is the dryer. I am going to demand a new one from Whirlpool and Lowe's!
    DixieT Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 11, 2008, 12:22 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by myndpeace
    We just had a new Whirlpool Cabrio washer and dryer (electric) installed today. I dried some towels and noticed an unusually loud humming and vibrating sound. I wouldn't expect this from a product with a "very good" noise rating rated by consumer reports. It's much louder than my old 17 year old dryer. I don't think I can live with this. Is this a normal sound? Has anyone had a similar experience with this model?
    I had the same noisy 'squeaking' (?) problems with my new Cabrio dryer. I'm pretty sure it's the pulley or motor. Four repairs later, I get the same response from the technicians. It's normal. What? I think they're too embarrassed to admit they can't fix it, so they report back to Whirlpool that the noise is normal.

One of those repairman said he heard the noise, tried to fix it, but then stated there was nothing he could do about it because it was probably a manufacture defect.

So far, Whirlpool has refused to replace the dryer.
    mom23boys Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 16, 2009, 01:20 PM
    I just bought a whirlpool cabrio electric dryer to match the washer we bought 2 years ago. It is incredibly loud. Same sound you all have been describing.. . A loud blowing, tinney sound. Had the repair man out 2 days after purchase. He told me it had been sitting in the warehouse and just needed to get broken in. Two weeks later it's still making the sound. My laundry room if off my kitchen and it's extremely annoying. I guess I'll call back to get another service call, but it doesn't sound like it will do much good.
    citizencain Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Apr 15, 2009, 09:43 AM
    I made a call to my service man when my 3 year old Cabrio dryer suddenly began to make an unbearably loud grinding and screeching noise. You could only bear it for 1-2 seconds before turning the dryer off. My service man suggested that if my husband was handy (he is) he could remove the back of the dryer to look at the filter chute to see if an object was lodged there. My husband did take the back off and found a couple of broken pencils, some earrings, and other miscellaneous debris! These objects were jamming the drum, and once removed, the dryer ran perfectly. This wise advice from our over-booked service man saved us a repair bill! (Be sure to UNPLUG your dryer before attempting to repair it!)
    Mira012 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 1, 2010, 07:58 PM
    I'm sorry so many people are having trouble with their Cabrios. I bought the set back in the summer and sure hope they last forever! I love them so much! The dryer has a sensor and cuts off if my clothes gets dry before the timer. I love it and hope it lasts forever.
    buybuy2260 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 13, 2010, 04:24 PM

Yikes - Not only has our Whirlpool Cabrio Dryer been loud after two service calls... it caught on fire! A small lint fire inside the unit, but a fire nonetheless. This is a gas unit. One week after delivery and "professionally installed" by ABT Appliance, I called for a service tech to complain of the loudness and metallic droning sound of the "Quietest dryer on the market". I even bought the extended warranty just in case (smart -right? - read on). Of course the tech said what previous threads have mentioned - "don't hear it" or "it's normal". The sounds continued to be bad. Fast forward a few loud months. We are religious about cleaning the lint screen but they tell me that Whirlpool makes a special long brush that I should have bought to reach down and pull out the residual lint before it builds up. Of course no one told us this nor was there any notification/mailing of this hazard. The ABT tech tried to say the fire was owner error and that the unit is "condemned" and both Mfr and ABT Appliance warranties are void. Sorry - wrong! I'm in the battle as we speak and will post an update shortly. I'm flaming mad and will not be burned by either the retailer or Whirlpool. Now I smell a burnt dryer and a lawsuit.
    fdmedina79 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 28, 2010, 10:16 AM
    We have had our Cabrio set for almost 4 years now without any issues what so ever but last week the dryer starting squeaking like crazy! No biggie I thought... dismantled the whole thing, vaccumed it inside and out , found the misc debris like earrings, pieces of pencils and a lot of sand. Well I found the little culprit (belt switch tension pulley) and lubed it up with WD-40 and Grease but by the next day it was squeaking again. With a tiny little research I found a place where I can buy a new one to replace it because It seems that the old one is just shot. If you are interested in getting an illustrated parts breakdown of the whole machine (very helpful) this will be a very good place to print it from. Good luck.

http://www.pcappliancerepair.com/model-display.php
    Angrycustomer Posts: 79, Reputation: -1

Jun 15, 2010, 07:04 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by timewisher View Post
    I've had my Cabrio washer & dryer since Feb of this year. The dryer sounded very loud like a buzzer w/ a vibrating tinny sound about 5 minutes into the cycle, once it heats up. A repair guy came out, heard the same sound, took off the door while the drum was turning & found the vibrating spring. He put some lithium grease where the spring was touching to stop that sound & said it was a design flaw, that the engineers know about. He said they might eventually come out with a modification kit to fix this. Before he left, we turned the dryer on, let it heat up to see if we still heard that vibrating tinny sound. Didn't here it, was happy, he left, but the next day when using the dryer, realized that only half the annoying sound was gone. The loud engine sound was still there. Waited a while, called Abt (the store where we bought it from) to say we still had a loud dryer & wanted it replaced. We suspected this one was returned because it was the last one they had & we had to wait 1 1/2 weeks for a different one. This one is just as loud, although the delivery guys say it sounds normal to them (what would they know). Luckily it is located in the basement, I can't imagine if I had a laundry room next to a family room or bedroom. Haven't found any reviews complaining about the loudness other than here so I thought it was just me & I can't remeber how quiet my old one was. The few reviews I've seen say "it's so quiet", started thinking it's just me. Don't know what to do next. I don't know if they'll exchange it for a different brand since I've had it for a couple months. I like the size of it & the way it dries. I just don't like hearing the droning sound from the basment. Who needs the alarm on the dryer when I know it stopped because the house is quiet now!
    =
    that's funny! Hey, maybe they have an insulation kit as well as better springs... I wonder why noise is never considered when buying an energy efficient machine? I see the cab, on clearance in most stores. Service is finally making sense.
    marilyn3 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 1, 2011, 09:36 AM
    My washer is a same thing loud noice when its spinning
    dashworth Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 6, 2011, 09:32 AM
    I hate my Cabrio w&d because the noise is unbearable. It's a known factory defect. We
    Decided to get rid of them and buy at totally different brand. POS is Whirlpool... and Maytag!
    Stay away from the Cabrio!
    kootenayridge Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 7, 2012, 01:58 PM
    I had the same problem as citizencain above... I heard a loud screeching noise when the machine was turned on. I called 2 repair services and both didn't want to come take a look for whatever reason. I thought I needed a new dryer but I decided to do some research and read citizencain's answer. I removed the back panel and cover and found a pencil lodged in the fan motor blades. I put everything back and it has been running smoothly. Thanks citizencain! You lazy repair guys can suck it!
    locoengr Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 27, 2015, 02:17 PM
    I found the problem you are speaking about. 2 service calls and the 3rd one found the skirt on the bottom has a plastic cross piece that vibrates and rattles against the bottom of the dryer. You need to raise the dryer up to find it. Lean it back while it is running and hold the plastic piece to make it quit. They are sending a new skirt for the dryer. I see no need for the piece to be there and the repairman doesn't either. If the new one doesn't solve the problem then out comes the plastic.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Whirlpool Cabrio Dryer [ 17 Answers ]

We purchased new Whirlpool Cabrio Washer & Dryer set from Sears. The washer has worked fine, but the dryer has not. The dryer was delivered and had a small dent on the front of the door. When we put clothes in the dryer and start it, the dryer is extremely loud. It sometimes has a piercing...

Whirlpool Cabrio Dryer [ 2 Answers ]

A sponge fell down the opening of the "lint catcher" while it was out because I was removing back up lint. While the lint catcher fits back in, I do not know if it is dangerous to leave the sponge down there, and if so, I do not know how to get it out--tried with a hanger but couldn't catch on to...

Whirlpool Dryer [ 2 Answers ]

My dryer started smelling like it was burning and would not dry the clothes. I installed a new heating element and the thermal fuses. I turned it on and still it would not get the clothes hot, then Poof, sparks shot out and it kicked the breaker. I turned the breaker back on and it shot sparks out...

View more questions Search