Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bill49 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 9, 2012, 09:26 AM
    Kenmore fridge model970 ice maker not making ice
    3 year old kenmore fridge model 970, icemaker in freezer just stopped working,
    Water getting to fridge but not to icemaker
    Bill
    drtom4444 Posts: 3,282, Reputation: 145
    Ultra Member

Jun 10, 2012, 08:54 AM
    The first thing you want to do is to clean the coils under the unit so it can cool down to the temp necessary to make ice (and keep from burning up compressor). Remove front kick plate and pull out drain pan to clean it, then pull unit out from wall and unplug it. Remove the rear cover and you should be able to see the condenser coils and fan. Spray the fan blades and the coils down with a good de-greasing cleaner like Simple Green, 409, or something similar. Wash off with sprayer on water hose with light spray and vacuum up with wet-vac. It may seem extreme, but it's the best way because just vacuuming will not remove greasy dirt that has built up for three years. I have done it that way for 35 years and it works very well. Replace the rear cover and drain pan before plugging back in because the rear cover affects the way air is routed over the condenser. Make sure the rear cover is clean, especially if it has vent holes for air. Put a thermometer in freezer and wait for 24 hours and see if it makes ice. If it does not, write back and I will walk you through any other steps you may need to take, but this will most likely cure your problem because the icemaker must get below 0 degrees to initiate the harvest cycle. Once the button thermostat starts the cycle a heater comes on on the bottom of the icemaker tray to release the ice and a cam trips a micro-switch to bring in water and it waits to start another cycle. If the freezer is not quite cold enough due to dirt it will never harvest and the compressor will then burn up. Here are some manuals that may help: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/8010163/Whi...rigerators.zip
    Whirlpool makes most of the Kenmore refrigerators.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ice maker not making ice air deflector issue? [ 0 Answers ]

I recently had to clean out an over production of ice, the Air deflector was knocked off in the process. Ice was still being produced but stopped again after a couple of weeks. Could the air deflector have caused this? I replaced it, and am wondering if the water line is now frozen because of it.

GE refrigerator ice maker GSS25JFPDWW stop making ice after a new motherboard bought [ 0 Answers ]

I purchased a new motherboard cause it was burned and I got the parts and its working good until the ice making doesn't work it just keep dispensing water and it leaks. What could be the problem?

Ice maker not making cubes my ge profile ice cube maker has stopped making ice [ 1 Answers ]

Ice maker not making cubes my ge profile ice cube maker has stopped making ice

Kenmore side by side fridge ice maker isn't producing ice [ 2 Answers ]

Help, My Kenmore side by side model # 106.5896 has stopped making ice and a red light next to its on/off switch is blinking. I have replaced the pur water filter and reset the water filtration and flushed the lines. I have also turned off then on the ice maker switch. No change - still blinking...

Ice Maker on Kenmore Elite Coldspot not Making Ice [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Kenmore Elite Coldspot Side by Side Fridge/Freezer, and the Ice Maker has stopped making ice. I can't locate my manual to look in the troubleshooting guide... any tips or advice for how to fix this problem myself?

View more questions Search