Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rickbgky Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 18, 2010, 12:33 PM
    4 prong plug on new dryer vs. three prong wall receptacle - best fix?
    I just purchased a new dryer that has a 4 prong/blade plug. My home is older and the installed receptacle is only 3 prong. I thought it best to try to replace the old 3-slot wall receptacle with a new 4-slot. The three wires inside the old receptacle are black, white and bare copper. I see wiring diagrams for a new receptacle calling for 4 wires (black, white, red and green). The new receptacle plug has slots labeled as white, ground, X and Y. What are my options?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Dec 19, 2010, 05:30 AM

Since you have a 3 wire circuit and receptacle, you may leave it, but then need to change the 4 wire cord to a 3 wire.

The 3 wire system has the white neutral and the green equipment ground connected together at the dryer terminal block.

New dryer circuits must be 4 wire, the neutral and equipment ground are separate conductors and not connected at the dryer.

3 wire dryer circuits are not allowed any longer, but existing may remain.

It would be best if you can change the 3 wire to a 4 wire circuit. If not practical, you need to only change the cord on the dryer from 4 to 3 wire, and connect the neutral and ground at the dryer.
    rickbgky Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Dec 19, 2010, 03:37 PM
    Thanks for the help. I suspected that I would have to tackle a job bigger than what I really wanted. Looks like it might be time to bite the bullet and have some of my home wiring updated.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I replace a three prong dryer plug with a four prong dryer plug [ 2 Answers ]

I opened the back and it has the same color wires as the four prong I am putting in . Do I just remove all that and put the new four prong in the same way? Thank you

How do I wire a 4 prong Leviton dryer plug receptacle from fuse box? [ 6 Answers ]

I have a new dryer with a 4 prong plug. My old dryer was wired directly. I have a Leviton (Nema 14-30R) "30A - 125/250V GROG" plug receptacle and a junction box and wish to mount it, however, I don't know if there is a specific order for the wires to be hooked up to the actual box. Wires are...

Replacing 2-prong receptacle with 3-Prong -NO GROUND WIRE [ 6 Answers ]

Hi there! I was wondering if someone can tell me how exactly I go about doing this safely. I have an existing 2 prong ungrounded plug... theres no ground to this receptacle... old metal box does not seem to be grounded either. I would like to replace this receptacle with a 3 prong GFCI...

Changing 4 prong dryer plug to work with 3 prong outlet [ 1 Answers ]

I have a dryer I haven't been able to use. I moved into an older house and bought a wall outlet to match the plug that's on the dryer. The problem is, any way I rewire the outlet with given wires it won't work.

View more questions Search