Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jdykes Posts: 29, Reputation: 1

Aug 31, 2010, 01:35 PM
    Fridge Ices Within Minutes of Turning on
    My fridge is an Amana BC121vw bottom freezer. I thawed my fridge out over night and cleaned out the condenser coils because it wasn't cooling. Upon thawing and being turned back on, it was frosted up and beginning to freeze within 10 minutes of being turned back on. The fan in the back corner was running continiously, so I manually turned the timer until this turned off, as soon as I did it began melting away the ice, but my fridge never sounds like it is running. The fan in the back of the freezer isn't even running.

At this point I'm lost any help would be appreciated.
    shulta44 Posts: 97, Reputation: 4

Sep 1, 2010, 04:18 PM

By turning the timer you put the fridge into defrost. The fan stops and the compressor stops, until the defrost runs for about 20 minutes. Is the evaporator fan running in the freezer when the compressor and condenser are running?
    shulta44 Posts: 97, Reputation: 4

Sep 1, 2010, 06:16 PM

If the compressor was not running, it would not frost at all.condensor fan runs when the compressor runs. You should here the evaporator fan running in the freezer compartment? This is what will circulate the air to the fresh food compartment. Also please double check the model number.
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Sep 1, 2010, 10:04 PM

If the evaporator fan motor is not working your fridge won't properly cool. I just got done replacing the evaporator fan motor in my fridge and it runs just fine now. Fan motors are about $50+ and you can replace yourself if you know where it is located. Not too big a job - just aggravating to get to.
    jdykes Posts: 29, Reputation: 1

Sep 2, 2010, 04:18 AM
    Correction on the model... it is a bcl21vw
    When I turn it on its completely silent, nothing on yet the condenser begins icing immediately and the various hoses and lines start frosting. When I manually turn the timer I can get the defroster on,small fan in back comes on and ice begins to melt and sizzle, but no fans inside ever come on.
    Uber Member

Sep 2, 2010, 07:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jdykes View Post
    Correction on the model...it is a bcl21vw
    When I turn it on its completely silent, nothing on yet the condensor begins icing immediately and the various hoses and lines start frosting. When I manually turn the timer I can get the defroster on,small fan in back comes on and ice begins to melt and sizzle, but no fans inside ever come on.
    Like I said above it's your evaporator fan motor that went bad. Your compressor works fine otherwise the coils would NOT freeze over. The compressor does not make much noise at all - it's the evaporator fan motor that's the noise in the fridge.

Go to this site and put in your model # and you will get a schematic of your fridge to see just where the part is located. They also have a great customer help line and ship out parts (at $25 overnight prices) for your fridge. If that is the part you could call up a local appliance parts supply house and see if your part is in stock. The schematic should help you figure out how to undo the housing so you can put the replacement motor in the same as you took it out. They usually have snap together wiring harnesses so that's not hard to do it's the bazillion screws that you have to undo and put back together that's the hard part.

Appliance Parts Pros.com Discount Appliance Parts ? Appliance Repair Parts

I've used these people for years for all my appliance parts and schematics on line. Their parts are cheaper than my local stores and if I'm in no big hurry I just use the $7 shipping method.
    Uber Member

Sep 2, 2010, 12:16 PM

Bcl21vw

This number is NOT coming up for any Amana product. You have given me the wrong model number. Try looking again.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Kenmore Fridge - Freezing bottom half of the fridge [ 1 Answers ]

I have a side-by-side refrigerator. The freezer is working fine, but the refrigerator side, the fridge is freezing bottom half. Recently fridge was not working at all, so the service guy came and replaced the fan, after that the freezer is OK, but the refrigerator is freezing the bottom half. ...

Maytag fridge (MTB1956DEW) problem - freezer frosting up, fridge not staying cold [ 0 Answers ]

I have a Maytag fridge with top freezer. The model # is MTB1956DEW. Over the last week, my freezer continuously frosts up with lost of crystal ice on the back and top while at the same time the fridge section below is not staying cold at all. I really like this fridge and really don't want to...

My coleman-avcon heathpump ices up at temperatur 35 and less [ 2 Answers ]

My coleman-evcon heathpump ices up at temp. 35 and less.what is the problem?

Heat Pump Ices Up when cold outside [ 3 Answers ]

My Heat pump which is a Trane and 20 year old iced up a few weeks ago. The HVAC technician said nothing was wrong , that when the temperature is below freezing I need to turn on the emergency heat. I did that a received a $430 electric bill this month. I have not had this problem for 19...

Maytag ref. Side not cooling-coil ices up [ 1 Answers ]

Maytag model msd2454GR* COIL FROZEN UP. FREEZER 0 deg. ref. 60 deg. Compressor running, fan above coil works. Why is the coils icing up? Thanks ,Gene.

View more questions Search