Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KaryMay Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 3, 2010, 06:20 PM
    Ge side-by-side refrigerators, water from dispenser tastes moldy
    I have a GE side-by-side refrgerator that is less than a year old. Very soon after installation, the filtered water from the dispenser started tasting moldy. I replaced the filter, twice, and the problem wasn't fixed. I then bypassed the filter and still the problem wasn't fixed. The water from the tap is fine. If I remove about 30 oz. from the system, the water tastes fine but is not cold. The ice cubes also taste moldy. All of the lines to the unit are copper and new. I think there is mold in the lines and the longer the water sits, the worse it gets.
    stormtroup Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 17, 2010, 06:50 PM

Are you on well water or a chlorinated city supply? It sounds as if iron reducing bacteria have grown in the tubing. You can try a pinch of bleach to sterilize the tubing followed by a rinse with the water supply. This will not hurt the filter or the tubing as city water is chlorinated. If the filter has carbon inn it (to remove bad tastes) the carbon will remove the chlorine put in by the city and bacteria can grow.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

GE Refrigerator side by side leaking under ice and water dispenser. [ 5 Answers ]

I have the GE side by side about a year old and it has leaked under the water & ice dispenser every since I purchased it. The repairman said to put a paper towel under the lift out tray, but that doesn't help. It leaks down the front of my black refrigerator and looks bad and is impossible to...

GE Side By Side Refrigerator Water Dispenser Freezing [ 6 Answers ]

Anyone have any new ideas or successes solving this question. I have read all of the current postings on thawing the water line on a GE Side By Side Water Line Dispenser. This is my first posting of a question and would appreciate any updates. I know what the problem is (line freezing in the door...

GE side by side refrig ice & water dispenser [ 1 Answers ]

Water is not dispensed from my GE side by side refrig ice & water dispenser. And, the Ice maker makes ice but it will not dispense from my GE side by side refrig ice & water dispenser. I have installed a new water filter cartridge. I have turned off power to refrigerator and restored it w/i a...

Refrigerator adama side by side water dispenser [ 1 Answers ]

My water dispenser stop working on Wednesday. It has a in-line filter which I replaced but the water does not dispense. Any comments or help?

View more questions Search