Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    paul789 Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Dec 6, 2009, 09:47 PM
    Gas furnace clunking
    Trane gas furnace, at least 11 years old, mounted in attic. Earlier tonight it started making a "clunk clunk" sound, followed about three seconds later by a fainter single "click". A couple of seconds later it starts again with the "clunk clunk."

Turn the furnace off and everything stops. Wait a few minutes , turn it back on and the cycle starts again. After an additional 30 to 60 seconds the fan starts But, there is no light-off - no flame.

Can't tell where the "clunks" are coming from. It might be the gas valve. With my hand on the gas valve a vibration can be felt there with each clunk. The 'click' seems to come from deeper inside the furnace.

Any suggestions or ideas? Thanks.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Dec 6, 2009, 10:48 PM

Sounds like the ignitor is bad. Could be spark or hot surface. It should glow or spark depending on type.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Gas Trane Furnace makes loud clunking noise when goes on and off [ 6 Answers ]

I have a gas Trane furnace, new in 2004, it has started making a loud clunking noise when it starts up and when the cycle ends. What is this noise, and how do I remedy it? I have a new filter that I can put in. Thank You. Sheri Tavens

My gas furnace doesn't light pilot ilght come on but gas doesn't come on [ 1 Answers ]

Gas furnace doesn't come on the fan for fresh air/exhaust and pilot light comes on but gas valve not letting gas in to burner so it doesn't light,but if I turn off power and back on three or four times it will work until house cools and need heat again

Lp gas furnace instruction [ 1 Answers ]

Furnace is a coleman, owner had our tech shut off the gass or lp gas after he installed a new thermal couple .now the furnace will not light, I only get pilot flame and when I release pilot flame dwindles down and goes out . Plenty of propane exist .I suspect the valve might be faulty or the...

New furnace clunking and banging [ 2 Answers ]

When the furnace was first installed it was fine and now a few days later it makes a banging/clunking noise when it turns on and shuts off. Is this a serious problem that we should be concerned about? I have tried talking to the installer and don't seem to be getting anywhere. Can anyone give us...

Furnace makes a clunking noise on starting [ 1 Answers ]

I have a fairly new central heating system (within 10 years old), and recently the gas furnace makes a clunking sound about 15 seconds before the blower kicks in. Any suggestions on what to look at before calling a pro? Thanks! Sheri

View more questions Search